Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Repair kitchen cabinets

KJHiggins
Just Starting Out

Repair kitchen cabinets

Hi All

I’m going to repair and paint my kitchen cabinets, but I need help on the repair part. What is the best way to repair these doors please? I’ve seen various epoxy systems online, but what does Bunnings offer?

I’m going to paint with Dulux Renovations range once repaired.

Many thanks, Kevin

9EAC8A0F-187D-4471-975E-67735D22DDE3.jpeg

CD85235A-5DF8-477E-A981-D01C236BCD7B.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repair Kitchen Cabinets

Hi @KJHiggins. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to answer it for you.

If you would like to replace the missing edging on the top of the door before painting you can use the Custompine 21mm x 10m White Iron-on Melamine Edging. If you don't there may be a slight difference to the paint finish between the laminate and the timber. The edging is simply ironed onto the top of the door and then trimmed back to size with a sharp knife or chisel. It might assist to remove the door and place it flat on a solid surface. This will make the job easier and is best practise especially when working with sharp tools

For the damaged portion you will need to use a filler that is 2-part like Builder Bog as it is much stronger than standard fillers. You will mix a matchhead sized amount of the hardener to a golfball-sized quantity of the resin bog. Once that is mixed together it will be pink in colour and can be applied as per a normal filler to repair the damaged portion. I would suggest filling the damaged portion with a couple of applications of the bog instead of just one large application, because once the bog sets it can take some work to sand back into the desired shape.

The Dulux 1l Renovation Range Primer will need to be used over any areas you have applied the Builders Bog. There is the option to simply paint the primer over the exposed timber on the top of the door instead of using the laminate edging, but I believe the finish will be better if you replace the laminate first.

If you have further questions or need assistance, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Repair kitchen cabinets

Hello @KJHiggins 

Builders Bog! The other miracle item next to silicone and duct tape! I agree with @MitchellMc that's the best repair item to use on that chipped melamine door.

Cheers!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects