Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing lino in a kitchen

Wouldy
Making a Splash

Replacing lino in a kitchen

IMG20211129124425.jpg

IMG20211129124417.jpg

IMG20211129124410.jpg

 I am moving into my house on Friday this week. There is a fair bit of work to be done. I do not own this house and yes it should be the responsibility of the owner to fix it, I know. On with the job needing to be done. 

I'm not going to try my hand at doing this one. I'm going to pay someone to install new lino. 

My question is, would lino or tiling be cheaper? 

I am on a budget, however I will pay what needs to be paid. This job is in my priority list. The lounge area will be having the lino replaced as well. Either with lino or tiles depending on the cost of either. 

There is lino throughout the whole house so probably better to just keep it all as lino. 

This is not one I can fuss around with. Not enough time. 

I'm just looking for opinions on which options may be the best route to go down with this one. 

Thank you. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing lino in a kitchen

Hi @Wouldy

I would probably go with Linoleum, it is easier to lay down and can be used immediately. Compared to tiles that will require at least a day or two to allow the tile glue to cure. Then you have to grout it which is like another few days before you can use your floor. When compared Linoleum wins for application. Looks like a flooring renovation project. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@EricL 

It is actually quite a big flooring project. A couple of rooms to do. I have never layed lino before. I agree though it is the best option and the cheapest. I am going to lay it myself. It costs too much for a professional to do it. Does bunnings sell linoleum? I will find a very good instructional you tube video. 

I will provide before and after photos. 

Wouldy

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wouldy

The store carries Vinyl Flooring to be specific and does exactly the same thing as linoleum. It comes in different widths and has a variety of patterns to choose from. I suggest testing one room first to get a feel for the process. Once you've laid down your first room, you'll now have a better idea of how to layout the rest of the house.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your refreshed flooring.

Eric

@EricL 

Thank you. Will make a trip when I have a list. What else do I need to lay the vinyl please? Of course I will measure. 

Wouldy

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wouldy

The only other item I recommend getting is a Stanley FatMax 18mm Integrated Snap-Off Retractable Knife. You'll need this when trimming the vinyl. If you'll be doing it yourself, I suggest getting some ToughBuilt 2 - In - 1 Knee Pads to save your knees from the hard floor. Please make sure to post some photos once you've done your first room. I'm sure our members would love to see the results.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects