Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Self-drill screws for building stud walls

Glenn1
Just Starting Out

Self-drill screws for building stud walls

Please advise the type/code number for the self drill screws to be used for building a small stud wall using 70 by 35 pine timber frame.

Thanks,

Glenn

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Self-drill screws for building stud walls

I'd be using galvanised or treated pine (more expensive) Bugle Batten screws available from Bunnings. Get some at least 65mm long (35mm timber + at lest 30mm embedment in adjoining timber).

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Glenn1. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

I see @ProjectPete has already given you some great advice on the screws to use with 70 x 35 framing pine. In regards to your request for details on the product, I believe you'll find Zenith 14G x 65mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws - 25 Pack match what ProjectPete has described. You'll need to pre-drill holes to avoid the pine splitting and a Ryobi 5mm HSS Drill Bit will be suitable for that purpose.

We look forward to hearing more about your project and seeing the finished results.

Please let us know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Curious how you went with this. I'm considering a similar build with 70x35 , the batten screws suggested are 14g which seems big for the size lumber. Was there splitting ? Id u predrill every whole? And any alternative screws U would suggest?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ludikom. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Let me mention @Glenn1 to see if they can update us on their project.

Let me also mention @ProjectPete to see if the product I suggested was what he had intended. I note now that he didn't specify a gauge and perhaps I have selected something over-sized. However, 14g seems to be the minimum thickness for Bugle Batten screws.

If you wanted a standard screw something like Buildex 10-8 x 65mm Climacoat 3 Countersunk Rib Head Treated Pine Screws - 50 Pack might be suitable. It will give you the length required and you won't have as many splitting issues.

We can't wait to hear more about this project and the others around your house and garden. We'd encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or if you'd like to share something with the community. I trust you'll find the community full of helpful and knowledgable members that are always willing to assist.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects