Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Small kitchen upgrade

newbie23
Building a Reputation

Small kitchen upgrade

Hi

I am looking to do a small renovation on my kitchen and would love some advice.

My budget is 8k max with appliances. 

Problem is I don't think I can change the cabinets as the floor tiles go thru the rest of the unit and it's too expensive a job to change the whole lot. 

So was looking for options. 

Do you think I could just replace the benchtop and appliances and make a big difference? 

Maybe re-tile splashback? 

I did paint the tiles a few years back and they are OK, but you can still see the old embossed tiles. 

Cabinet doors maybe?  How would I then handle the bottom and top trimmings and the island? 

Painting is an option - thoughts? 

Would love to get a slimline dishwasher (45cm) in under the sink - would it be possible? 

if I changed the sink to a single and get the existing cabinets cut to fit it? 

Totally open for suggestions and thanks in advance.

I have attached a sketch of the measurements - definitely not to scale!!

D203F1FA-136F-4B35-AE01-528A1A9F0F2C.jpeg

63C74ACE-232E-43D8-BF82-42F8260FECDB.jpeg528D297F-5EEB-44CD-A7EB-FAC82703B736.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Small kitchen upgrade

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @newbie23. Many thanks for your questions, I'd be happy to assist.

Your cabinetry looks to be in good condition and I think would make an excellent candidate for rejuvenation with the Dulux Renovation range. Here's a helpful step-by-step D.I.Y. tutorial on How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets which I trust you'll find useful in the process. With the replacement of the appliances, a new benchtop and a painted refresh I believe it will make a big difference to the feel of the room. You might like to simply go over your tiles with vinyl planks. Here's a video on the effect you can achieve with them and how to go about it- How to lay vinyl plank flooring

There appears to be room to the left under the sink for a dishwasher, but let me mention the ever-helpful @redracer01 to see if he has any idea about placement.

We look forward to assisting with your renovation project and I can't wait to see what our helpful members will suggest.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @newbie23 

Your kitchen looks like the perfect candidate for the new Dulux renovation range. I've drawn your kitchen as close as possible to the pictures you've posted with the new door colors. By painting it white or another bright color it will give your kitchen a brand new feel. I've put in a timber bench top as a suggestion so you have a nice organic look and is a departure from the dark color of your current top. I strongly recommend to re-tile the splash back, It will give your kitchen the final piece that will pull all the elements together and give it a freshly renovated look. The slim line dishwasher will be hitting too many elements in your old kitchen, too much effort will be spent changing, adjusting and repairing doors and carcasses. There is a big possibility of damaging the existing doors and not find a compatible size and shape. It would be worth putting a dishwasher in if you changed the entire kitchen and the layout could be fully adjusted. I hope the pictures give you inspiration and ideas. Good luck and stay safe.  

Cheers,

Red

newb231.jpgnewb232.jpgnewb233.jpgnewb234.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks terrific @redracer01! Many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

I trust @newbie23 will be excited to see the potential of the kitchen through your designs. It's amazing to see the difference a new bench, re-tiled splashback and painted cupboards can make to the room.

Mitchell

newbie23
Building a Reputation

Thank you both for your input. 

It is definitely great to see an image of what it might look like painted, thanks @redracer01!

The dishwasher is a disappointment - was so looking forward to getting one in - but I know it was a tight option!

I'm gonna look into the Dulux range. 

I painted my bathroom tiles a few years back and I have to say it made a huge difference and love the effect.

It is quite a bit of work though!

I am just going to put a few before and after in case anyone is interested?

I'll keep you posted on my kitchen project. Thanks again!

4A9BB8EB-C49A-4083-84F4-79B874537C0C.jpeg11276C6F-8BEB-4545-8C7C-F7160E79BCA9.jpegB2C6D28C-586E-4E5B-8CF8-E19C9A56EBAB.jpeg6AA7BE84-950B-4734-BBB3-4125A5721BB0.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@newbie23,

Painting tiles can certainly be quite a bit of work but look at those results! I can only imagine the amount of work it would have taken to remove all those tiles and then replace them. Can I ask how you went about getting the white grouted lines? Did you mask each tile so you didn't paint over the grout or did you go back and paint the white grout lines in after?

With advancements in coatings over the last few years painting laminate and tiles has become a viable option in home renovations. 15 years ago I was not much of a fan of it, but I have definitely come around to the idea and now see it as an option that should be considered. It's opened up a whole world of possibility for those that simply can not do a full renovation for whatever reason.

Many thanks for sharing your bathroom make-over, I trust our members will find your experience useful.

Mitchell

newbie23
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

I painted over them and then went over it with a white grout pen. 

The Dulux range wasn't around then but I used the White Knight range from Bunnings. 

Was impressed myself with the result, so think I will definitely give the kitchen cabinets a go.

Give me something to do during lockdown!

Can I ask - I will need to paint both sides of the doors, is it better to take off and paint one side, let it dry and then repeat on the other?

Or leave doors attached?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@newbie23,

You might find it most proficient to do all the doors at once. Create a workspace with drop sheets laid down. First number all the doors and their locations with small pieces of tape for reference as this will allow you to replace them in the same location. Lay them all out and paint one side, wait for them to dry and then flip them over and repeat on the other side. I would think you'll need to do two coats to cover the existing colour.

I think you will find it awkward to paint the doors while they are vertical and a better finish will be obtained if they are laid flat.

Mitchell

newbie23
Building a Reputation

So - I have finished my update and thought to post some before and after shots. 

Am very happy with the results.

Went with your advice to retile - love it - and also added shelves, great idea!

Managed to get a small dishwasher into space I wanted that makes me very happy!

Used the Dulux renovations range on the cupboard doors - colour Niche. 

Was a bit of a mission as had to paint both sides of the cabinet doors - found the primer tended to drip on application, so be careful. 

Went with a slightly bigger benchtop that makes all the difference, its laminate as well, but doesn't look it!D203F1FA-136F-4B35-AE01-528A1A9F0F2C.jpeg

C6A86CED-4EE5-4F91-8FEE-185EB36D1600.jpeg

63C74ACE-232E-43D8-BF82-42F8260FECDB.jpeg

A793E400-0061-4AF8-B775-7F8C31393A68.jpeg

D203F1FA-136F-4B35-AE01-528A1A9F0F2C.jpegC6A86CED-4EE5-4F91-8FEE-185EB36D1600.jpeg63C74ACE-232E-43D8-BF82-42F8260FECDB.jpegA793E400-0061-4AF8-B775-7F8C31393A68.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @newbie23,

What a fantastic transformation! You've done a spectacular job and should be very proud of your efforts. Did you do all this work by yourself or did you employ some assistance?

I really like the smart decisions you made with this project. Replacing the key items like rangehood, stove, oven, tiles, benchtop, sink and tapware have all played a major part in achieving this fine result.

Many thanks for sharing the update and the process with the community. I trust many of our members will find your renovation of inspiration when planning their own kitchen make-over.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects