Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Stainless steel over glass splashback?

georgiaks
Getting Established

Stainless steel over glass splashback?

DEF27BDB-007D-4E37-A6C2-EA1786A12A29.jpeg

Hi everyone,

we were lucky enough to find a second hand kitchen that fit our space and included glass splashback which I am super happy with however the plumber won’t sign off on our gas stove unless it is 200mm away from it because we got it second hand without any kind of compliance letter. 
We know tiling over it is the most straight forward option but I would prefer to avoid that. I don’t want to tile over the whole thing and doing it just behind the stove might look a bit strange so my question is, would stainless steel over the glass be possible and if so would it be compliant? 
Thanks in advance :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stainless steel over glass splashback?

Hi @georgiaks,

I'd say that the best person to ask about compliance and what they will sign off on would be the plumber that's installed the stove. It makes sense to continue dealing with the same plumber whilst trying to find a solution. There's no point in advising that stainless steel over the glass will make it compliant if the plumber is still unhappy with that. 

Gas cooktops require a minimum 200mm distance between the periphery of the gas burner to the glass splashback. Certification of the toughened safety glass is required, and it must be installed on the appropriate fire-resistant backing material.

Whether you cover the glass splashback with stainless steel or not, it will still be there. You're missing the required certification, and you might find that most plumbers will be dubious of signing off the installation.

I suggest contacting the plumber and asking what they would require to sign off on this work. It will be much easier to comply with their request than to find another plumber to sign off on someone else's work.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects