Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Thought I would add my small reno to my Kitchen

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

Thought I would add my small reno to my Kitchen

I have recently done a small reno to the pantry area and the benchtop in my kitchen - so though I would share it.  With the benchtop I decided to do a vinyl wrap and am very pleased with how I did that; and with the large pantry area, I ordered 3-drawer cabinet, and a smaller cabinet and a benchtop to go over them.  The  cabinets did not fit as one wall went in at the back by a couple of millimetres so I had to leave out the smaller cabinet and put in a kit-set cube with a shelf and a drawer. Of course that also meant the benchtop didn't fit properly either so out came my jigsaw and sliced off the end by very thin slices  [a bit scary] until I got it to fit. So I am pleased with the final result.  Now I have to get some nice canisters for the upper shelves. I think  Benchtop before - very darkBenchtop before - very darkBenchtop before 2Benchtop before 2Benchtop - removing messy siliconeBenchtop - removing messy siliconeBenchtop after1Benchtop after1Benchtop after2Benchtop after2Benchtop after3Benchtop after3Pantry5Pantry5Pantry6Pantry6Pantry1Pantry1Pantry7Pantry7Pantry2Pantry2Pantry4Pantry4Pantry3Pantry3

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Thought I would add my small reno to my Kitchen

Hello @MaryTonnz 

That is an excellent make over. The bench top has a new lease on life! Your pantry is now more practical and good on you for tackling the benchtop adjustment yourself! Now that you have that experience under your belt your next project should be a breeze! 

Cheers!

Res

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

You should be very proud @MaryTonnz! I love hearing how you faced your fears to get the benchtop to fit. So much of the fun of D.I.Y. is learning from trial and error and adjusting. I have pantry envy. You have so much space!

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

Thank you Jane - the pantry was deeper than usual as the previous owners [times 10 had taken some space out of the bathroom to have their washing machine in there, then the people I have just purchased from put the WM in a cupboard outside the kitchen - I didn't like that and did a small reno to the bathroom as well as that was very "poky" & by taking out the bath and putting in a new vanity & the WM in that space it gave me more space as you walk in the door [the 'pregnant style" vanity was previously on that wall & it was very narrow  in the middle of the bathroom. See my pics on the bathroom where I had joined here by asking about splashbacks where I had wallpapered. :smile: 

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

Thank you Res - it definitely saved me a lot of money as I was quoted $20-25K for a new kitchen.  The change to the existing benchtop brings in a lot more light so I am happy to leave the rest of the kitchen.  I just need to finish off a few small shelves in the pantry area & some nice storage canisters etc.  

Mary

Many thanks for sharing your project @MaryTonnz. I'm particularly interested in the vinyl wrap you've done on the benchtop as it looks stunning and has made a significant difference to the kitchen. I trust it will be of great inspiration to our members, as benchtops can be a major expense in any kitchen renovation. I would have never thought that such a transformation was achievable with vinyl. Do you have any tips you could offer others on applying the vinyl, and did you run into any difficulties along the way?

I think you've done a superb job and should be really proud of your efforts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell,  I watched a number of videos on youtube before deciding to go ahead with the vinyl wrap, and even after I bought it it took me a while to decide on starting. But then I thought it can be easily ripped off again with no damage to the benchtop, and as it only cost me $134.00 for 3 rolls [I only used 2 of them so will use the other on the shelving around my washing machine in the bathroom I think], it would have been no great loss to discover how it works.  I love it & one of the youtube videos was of a young woman who had done hers 2 yrs ago and pulled it off and put some different design on to change her kitchen again. 

Also it is good to be able to cut small areas as the joins don't show up [looks just like the joins in a built benchtop does [and it is easier to apply.]

Mary

Hi There, just wondering the brand / supplier of the wrap please?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @melaniegoesmia. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you get plenty of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful members.

Are you planning a kitchen reno of your own? We would love to hear about it. 

Let me tag @MaryTonnz to see if she can share the details of the vinyl wrap with you. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be back on the site this afternoon, so if you would like to share photos of your own benchtop and what you would like to do, he will be more than happy to share his experience and knowledge. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

@melaniegoesmia 

Hi, I got my vinyl wrap for my benchtop from vinylhome.co.nz.

They have a great selection.

Mary

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects