Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What style of overhead cupboards could we add to our 1950's styled kitchen?

Aaron_R
Just Starting Out

What style of overhead cupboards could we add to our 1950's styled kitchen?

Hi all, my fiance and I have just purchased a new property and would like to add some overhead cupboards to our kitchen.

The existing cabinets are a re-done 1950s design and are in great condition so to save some money we'd prefer not have to replace them 

Our challenge is trying to work out what style of overhead cupboards we could add that would compliment the existing cupboards and not look out of place. (Happy to look at doing some low cost alterations to existing cabinetry to make it work)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :smile:

IMG-3239.jpgIMG-3240.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What sort of overhead cupboards could we add to our 1950s styled kitchen?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Aaron_R. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

If you plan on keeping the lower cabinetry then you could take a look at the Kaboodle door profiles available. There is quite a selection of options to suit older style kitchens. Alternatively, you could have some custom cabinets created to match the existing open glass one.

You might like to read the discussion: Reno 1950's kitchen by @katew164. The ever-helpful @Isobel mentions there is quite a demand for this style of cabinetry and you might be able to purchase some wall cabinets to suit the style.

Some other discussions that could be of interest:

Were you planning to keep the base cabinets permanently? I am asking because consideration would need to be given as to whether the new wall cabinets should match/complement the current base cabinets or perhaps a future renovation of the kitchen.

Let me mention a few helpful members @redracer01, @Isobel, @prettyliving and @Tara86 to see if they had any suggestions on wall cabinets to complement the existing layout.

We look forward to seeing your project come together and I can't wait to see what our helpful member's suggestions are.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What sort of overhead cupboards could we add to our 1950s styled kitchen?

I like the face frame cabinets :smile: I would work on corner cabinets with a built in range hood and retain the face frame look with the round end shelves. I would also like some feature glass.

I think the original wall cabinets from my home which  are now in the garage look better than the melamine that replaced them ( that I will replace one day ) No doubt I will be told I am wrong by she who knows better...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects