Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do with this kitchen!

AKFN
Finding My Feet

What to do with this kitchen!

We've been trying to decide on the best possible design for a new kitchen to rid ourselves on the criminally green one currently in-situ (c.1936). 

We have an extension on the back of the house which seems like the perfect place to put a kitchen. We're trying to avoid closing up, moving or altering too many walls, windows and doors because of the added expense.

Photo 1: Existing kitchen

Photo 2 & 3: Rear extension

Photo 4: Floor plan with measurements of kitchen and extension

Photo 5: Straight line kitchen design we came up with to utilise extension space

Photo 6: Possible kitchen design if we move the shower/laundry room, and close off one of the back doors. Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 7.22.51 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-31 at 7.23.04 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-31 at 7.23.10 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-31 at 7.23.23 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-31 at 3.56.23 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-16 at 8.18.19 pm.png

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What to do with this kitchen!

Hello @AKFN 

What is that cabinet in the corner next to the cook top? Can it be removed? On your plan it has a letter "C" designation on it.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @AKFN. Many thanks for your question.

Just to confirm your intentions, you would like to move the kitchen from location A to location B? You weren't interested in remodelling the existing kitchen and had other plans for that space?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi 😊

Thanks for your response!

I have tried to find a way to keep the kitchen where it is, however, because the stove and oven (denoted in the plan), are structural and set in a double brick chimney, I can’t see any way to do so and utilise the space well.

Completely open to suggestions though!

Hi there 😊

The ‘c’ is a cupboard that sits above the bench top, see photo. It could be moved/gotten rid of. The cooker/stove on the plan though, sit inside a structural chimney, which cannot be moved.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @AKFN 

Can I bother you for a photo of the front of cooking area thanks!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

BB73215B-AB18-4E30-A095-546B6140F5D4.jpeg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @AKFN 

Below are my suggestions for your kitchen. I've maximized your wall cabinets which will serve as your storage in lieu of a pantry. The reason for this is I've designed your kitchen with an open feel in mind. By not having any tall bulky cabinets your line of sight will not be obstructed and makes the kitchen have that feeling of more space. Lots and lots of bench top as much as we can, you can never have enough bench tops. By updating your oven and cook top we can maximize our space and not have that cramped bulky look that comes with older appliances. We simply center our appliances and we instantly have more cooking space. Yes you can have a bigger cook top should you wish it. We need an in cabinet fitted range hood to go into your chimney (if possible). By measuring the dimensions in that space I suspect we can put one in there with no one the wiser. By adding  open shelves to the right and left of your fixed chimney it disperses that bulk by giving the illusion of being spread out and hence does not become the focus of the kitchen. Compact dishwasher space has been provided but you may change it to a cabinet if you wish. I suggest a maximum 20ltr microwave to save space and prevents it from sticking out too far from the wall cabinet. Kettle and toaster can be hidden in the corner. Shelves for coffee, tea and sugar the rest of it is at your discretion. I hope you enjoy the drawings and may it inspire you to explore the possibilities. Good luck and stay safe.

You can bring these drawings to a Bunnings near you to get a quote!

Cheers,

Red

akfn1.jpgakfn2.jpgakfn3.jpgakfn4.jpgakfn5.jpgakfn6.jpgEvery cook needs a place to sit on, have at least one stool for such an occasion.Every cook needs a place to sit on, have at least one stool for such an occasion.

Good idea!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects