Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which prime to use for old furniture?

ppp
Having an Impact

Which prime to use for old furniture?

Hi All,

I have got old kids chairs & also looking to make shelve for an existing cabinet with mdf.  

I would like to paint these chairs with some black colour. And thinking to paint mdf same as existing shelves. 

My question is how can I select prime for furniture?  Confused for selection from Bunnings. Have never done any painting. 

Can someone guide me for selecting prime for furniture please?

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which prime to use for old furniture

Hi @ppp,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist. I would recommend the British paints 4 in 1 prep which is a primer, sealer, undercoat and stain blocker all in one. It will be suitable for both the chairs and the MDF. You can then paint over the top with your black colour. Make sure the chairs are clean and sand down any spots that are not smooth or where the previous paint is chipping.

We look forward to seeing your project come together and please let us know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

can i use any water and oil based paint over the british paints 4 in one prep and if so which one would be best as well as brand

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rob5,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be pleased to answer it for you. When using any water-based or oil-based paint over a primer, I would recommend using British Paints Prep 4 In 1 White Oil-Based Primer Sealer Undercoat as it is compatible with both. As for the best oil-based paint, I would recommend Dulux Super Enamel and for water-based my advice would be Dulux Aquanamel. These are both high-quality paints that are hard wearing and chip resistant.

Please let me know if you need further advice about these products or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell. Much appreciated for your time.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects