Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

sealing gap between cooker and stone slab

an_kv
Growing in Experience

sealing gap between cooker and stone slab

Hi there ..

Looking for some help here. We have got some gap between our cooker and the stone slab, it’s small but food keeps falling into it. Is there a way to block that, not sure if putting coloured silicon will help or anything else. Any help here would be great. Uploading a pic of that helps.

regards

an

C9527540-2113-4F61-AB0E-5718EA069484.jpeg

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: sealing gap between cooker and stone slab

You could try a rubber seal @an_kv  which would require you to loosen the underbench fixings so you can lift the stovetop enough to fit the seal - you may find an option that is thick/wide enough to cover the gap once fitted. If the plumbing doesn't easily allow this (ie. fixed pipe rather than flexible hose) then either get a plumber or go with the silicone option.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @an_kv,

It's great to see you've already received a helpful reply for @ProjectPete, and I would agree that a heat resistant rubber seal of some type would be an excellent solution. Alternatively, I'd imagine you could do a reasonable job of adding a silicone seal to the gap with Sika 300g Black Sikaseal Appliance Silicone Sealant. I'd suggest sticking down some painter's tape on the stove and then the benchtop parallel with the gap and either side of it. You can then run a thick bead of silicone over the gap. A Paint Partner 4 Piece Silicone Scraper Set can then be used to contour a cove along the joint. You'll then be able to remove the painter's tape.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
an_kv
Growing in Experience

Thanks @ProjectPete  

an_kv
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc .. any recommendation on which rubber seal I can use, I see many options at Bunnings. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @an_kv,

Just a heads-up that Mitch won't be back on the site until Friday to assist you. Apologies for the delay in the meantime.

Let me also tag @redracer01 and @ProjectPete to see if they might be able to recommend a seal for you.

Thanks,

Jason

an_kv
Growing in Experience

Thanks Jason for the heads up ..

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @an_kv,

I'm not aware of any general-purpose heat resistant rubber seals for this purpose. Raven does some fire-rated seals to go on doors; here's their catalogue. In-store we have Scandia 18mm x 2m Fibreglass Rope Seal, which could be pushed into the gap, but as it is fibreglass, it might trap debris in it and be hard to clean.

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @an_kv 

Just in case you are wondering @MitchellMc's recommendation of using the https://www.bunnings.com.au/sika-300g-black-sikaseal-appliance-silicone-sealant_p1210606 dries like a rubber seal. It is highly recommended for such situations, plus because it is appliance rated it has been designed to withstand the heat from your gas cooker making it very safe. if you wish to give it that uniform look you could run a uniform bead all around it for aesthetics making it look like a full rubber seal all the way around. It is water resistant so it will keep water out and prevent it from traveling into the cabinet below. To create that gap filler I would also place tape at the bottom of the bench top where the gap is to create an artificial catch as you are filling the gap ( you may place several strips to make the catch firm). Once the silicone has dried and adhered to the bench top and cook top carefully/gently/slowly remove the tape from the bottom. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red     

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

an_kv
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc will check the options suggested.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects