Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Art deco desk

racheleinhorn
Getting Established

Art deco desk

This was an old desk from a friend which had seen better days. It was covered in scratches and missing laminate in parts. I was able to upcycle this desk completely cost neutral with things I already had at home. This Art Deco style was achieved by:

- sanding, priming and painting 

- cutting bamboo skewers and spraying with gold spray paint to design a starburst effect on the drawers. 
- spray painting gold handles for drawers

- creating a shaker style frame on the desk legs to add depth. This frame was created using extra wooden slats from an old bed frame. 
- designing with painters tape and Art Deco inspired design feature on the desk legs and spray painting gold. 

Now we have a unique and custom desk and I love that it was made just using items I already had at home. 

E1E67BC1-F4E8-444A-A327-6AF34B2AB7B2.jpeg

93756511-BADB-4590-852E-15DD82DEACA8.jpeg

F32EDB3E-01CB-44C4-83BA-E56FB448CB03.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Art deco desk

Hi @racheleinhorn,

First, let me extend a warm welcome from the Bunnings Workshop community. It is wonderful you have decided to join and share your upcycle project with us. You'll find Workshop to be a great source of inspiration and advice for all things DIY and garden. Upcycle projects like yours sometimes make it into our Top Ideas section, you might find yours there one day. 

You have really brought some amazing art deco details to your upcycled desk. I especially love your sunburst design on the drawers, did you have to cut them length-wise so they lay flat on the drawer? Any advice for someone looking to do a similar project? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Katie! Thanks for the welcome and info! 

I was simply able to cut the skewers to different lengths with scissors, sand the edges slightly, and sprayed them gold. I did not need to cut lengthwise, the glue is strong enough to keep them on well. Thanks for asking 🙂

Hi @racheleinhorn

That is fabulous! Thank you for sharing. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects