Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Automatic curtain opener problem

xenoboa
Just Starting Out

Automatic curtain opener problem

Hey all

I have a curtain rod for years and I recently bought something call SwitchBot which automatically opens and closes curtains for you.

The 1st time use it moves, however because the metal ring on the curtain itself cant glide properly on the rod. So I bought a Silicone Spray from Bunnings to Lubricate it so it can glide better. Now a new problem arised, now because the surface is so smooth,the switchbot cant move. Does anyone have any recommendation what I can do from here?

I have attach 2 videos, 1 is before lubricating, the other 1 is after lubricating.

Felix

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Curtain Rod problem

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @xenoboa. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about curtain rods.

As this isn't one of our products, the manufacturer would be the best place to look for troubleshooting assistance. However, I've taken a look at the product for you, and I suspect the issues you're seeing are due to the curtains working off a grommet system. As per the product page, you need a grommet kit to operate the Switchbot on a grommet curtain. It stops the pleats from expanding and binding on the rail. It's my understanding that the Switchbot was not recommended for grommet curtains until they released the grommet kit for it. 

A few workarounds that I've come across are installing Barelli Clear Shower Curtain Rings onto your grommets, applying clear sellotape onto the top of the rail to reduce friction, sewing in a thread to the back of the pleats to stop them from expanding fully and hemming any curtains that drag on the ground.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects