Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Baby safety - filing gap at top of staircase

runinskate
Just Starting Out

Baby safety - filing gap at top of staircase

Hello!

i have a cut out at the top of my steps and a 1 year old. I am trying to find a solution to build so that the baby can’t fall through. I am also in a rental so I want to add as few holes as possible. 

this cut out measures 91x51.5 There are wooden boards on either side where something was previously installed. These boards are 45.5cm long. This sits 2cm up from the bottom of the window and 3.5 cm down from the top. The board is 1.5cm thick. 
see the pictures. It will make much more sense. 
Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks! 

image.jpg

016CD7B9-41EE-46E4-A5B4-48CC112A8F9A.jpeg

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: baby safety

I would us a piece of ply extending out over the 2 side supports but fitting between the top and bottom from the upstairs side and bolt / screw 2 pieces of 2x1 on the other side to pressure fit it in. That way when you leave you could undo the 4 or 6 bolts and you havent left any trace. You could paint if you want it to blend in. JDE

runinskate
Just Starting Out

Brilliant idea! I love it! I understand exactly what you are suggesting. 
The only tools I have are a hammer and a manual screw driver. Any suggestions on what other tools I need to get to do this and any recommendations on what type of bolt to use. Also do I need to put something(Foam?) in between to pressure fit it? Thanks again! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @runinskate. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I see you've already received some helpful advice from @JDE which is great to see.

You might like to speak to your real estate agent and ask if you could re-install the missing balustrade pieces which would have been there originally. I'd presume the homeowner would be more than happy for you to do that at your own expense, especially since there is a baby in the residence.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Taking a second look. Id bet someone else has done a similar thing before as the 2 extra uprights scream handy man who didn't know what they were doing and it has been painted over at a later date. Owner is probably not even aware of its existence. If you want to follow McMitchells idea you could just screw three or four lengths of say 4x1 directly to the additional timbers or just screw or glue your ply directly to them. I would make sure you took a picture of what is already there first.

If you don't want to ask.

Not sure with ply but Bunnings will cut timber to size, you could swap ply for particle board and get them to cut it for you. And buy a longer length of 2x1 and get them to cut to length. Ply needs to go from outside to outside of extra timbers in width vertically allow 4mm.  Bolts only need to be 1/4 inch or similar use the ones with fat heads and a washer on the nut side (back) Id use locking nuts. You will need a drill for holes and a pair of pliers or shifter to hold nuts while tightening and some sandpaper to knock of all rough edges , paint optional. As it doesnt move you probably dont need foam but if worried even just a bit of plastic or cardboard,  cloth between painted surface would do. Are you intending to paint it?  If you are going to stay there a while personally id get the ply cut to size sand edges,  paint it and glue it to the existing extra timbers with liquid nails only tool needed paint brush. I can hear the landlord already but that's me. My first suggestion has less risks involved in long run. JDE

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects