Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Barn door made from MDF and installed onto custom bulk head

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Barn door made from MDF and installed onto custom bulk head

893E044B-A1D7-4077-8F3C-7CA42C845C04.jpeg

DD6CECB0-E0E3-493A-B077-11C9E8F0791D.jpeg

24263FB8-598E-4AB7-85A7-E7E6D9E7B5F4.jpeg

Here I have made thei mdf barn door with a cross feature.

All materials were purchased from Bunnings 

MDF

Barn Door 3m slide rail 

I will add before and after photos :smile:

TomG
Getting Established

Re: Barn door made from MDF and installed onto custom bulk head

Hi @LePallet ,

This looks amazing. I'm keen to try something similar for the walk in robe door in our bedroom. What size MDF did you use and did it produce a sturdy, thick door?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TomG. It's brilliant that you've joined us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Hopefully, @LePallet can get back to us with some details on what thickness MDF sheets were used. I suspect that 18mm MDF was used as it's the thickest available off the shelf. Or, potentially, a combination of other sizes. Two boards would be needed to achieve 36mm, and one of those sheets cut out to suit the pattern. Another 3mm sheet could be added to get you close to the 40mm mark. It looks like @LePallet has cut the pieces for the pattern out individually. I wonder if you could mark out your pattern on the sheet and cut just the voids out with a jigsaw? That way, you wouldn't have to work out all the different angles and use filler at the joins.

A 40mm thick door constructed from MDF would be extremely sturdy.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your project, and hopefully, @LePallet will get back to us soon.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tamaraskie
Finding My Feet

Excellent door! Would you happen to remember the measurements of the outside panels and the diagonal panels on the door? The balance between them looks amazing. 

Hi @Tamaraskie,

Let me mention @LePallet to see if he can fill us in on those details. I could only hazard a guess, but since the rail is 3m long, the door width could be around 1.2m wide as it appears slightly less than half the length of the rail.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects