Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bay Window day bed DIY

bernadette1990
Finding My Feet

Bay Window day bed DIY

Hi,

We are currently renting and have a bay window in our front living room. We would love to make a bench seat that would be removable if we move out.

Do you have any advice for building one- similar to a simply bench seat?

Thank you.75043E2F-E4E5-4FAC-B27C-DE2794D91AF3.jpeg86170CA9-521D-44E8-A4AE-E2D2A5E09DBE.jpeg71DB3B39-668B-4CAD-9AA2-3689D6E7591F.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bay Window day bed DIY

Welcome to the Workshop community @bernadette1990. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

You might find our helpful community members can give more specific advice if you would like to provide some images of the window in question.

One idea I have is to lay a Flexi Storage Clever Cube 1 x 4 Storage Unit White down on its side like you last image and then transfer the shape of the bay window recess onto some 12mm plywood. The plywood can then be fixed to the clever cube creating a platform which pillows can be placed on. Alternatively, you could create the entire platform out of plywood and with some images I could advise how to construct it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your response. We’re looking at constructing more of a frame. Here is a photo of the area.

Cheers,

Bernadette

44323B3A-34DB-4951-B190-D7ABDE9DFC0B.jpeg

9F38F821-320F-4C40-8B69-AB8E017D1F01.png

Hi @bernadette1990,

Your last image shows a fairly thorough visual representation of what you would need to build. The only difference will be instead of the rear rails fixing directly into the wall you will need a few more vertical timbers to support the top. You will have to create several mitred joints so a circular saw or table saw that can cut angles would be helpful. A suitable timber to use for the frame would be 70 x 35mm MGP10 UT Pine Timber Framing Linear Metre and it can then be covered with 12mm plywood for the top and front. A drill will be needed for fixings and Buildex 10-12 x 50mm Zinc Plated Countersunk Head Timber Screws 50 Pack would be a great choice.

Please let me know if there are any questions you had or if you require further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects