Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bedroom Size

DopyDingo
Growing in Experience

Bedroom Size

Hi all! hoping to get some ideas....

We are currently in the planning stages of our renovation and I am trying to figure this pickle out.

Our house is currently a 3 bedroom 2 bath, however one of the bedrooms is 5926 x 2441 so very long.

Ideally, I would like a 3 bedrom plus study but I am trying to determine what a good sized bedroom would be.

Should I just split it down the middle which is just shy of 3000mm or increase the size of the bedroom and decease the study?

5926 x 2441

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bedroom Size

Hi @DopyDingo,

Great to have you join us at this exciting time. We are looking forward to seeing how your renovation progresses. Have you got a floor plan of the house that you could share with us? It might help other Workshop community members to look at your whole house and make more informed recommendations. I'd be then happy to tag some of our experienced renovators to get their opinions on your space. 

Welcome to Workshop,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Given it's rather narrow @ 2441 @DopyDingo , and a bigger bedroom is always nice (and generally better for resale), I'd make the bedroom at least 3300x2441 and leave the study with a spacious but cosy 2626x2441.

You'll actually find in newer houses these days that a 'study' has been replaced with a 'computer nook' and will be as small as 2000x1000 as recess in a wall. It really comes down to your needs and how you'll use the space.

You could split it down the middle and effectively create another room big enough to be a small bedroom so while you may use one as a study, the next owner may see it as a 4bed 2bath home, thus increasing its value.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Minimum size for a bedroom is very subjective. I reckon its also very dependant on storage space. 

How long are you planning on staying in the property @DopyDingo? If it's long-term, I would just change it according to your needs and not worry about re-sale value and what other people might be wanting.  

DopyDingo
Growing in Experience

@ProjectPete, these dimensions are similar to what I was thinking. I taped the area out last night and it would be substantial enough for a professional study.

@MartyH this house will be long term so I would prefer something that works for us and not a quick fix.

Thanks all! This has pretty much confirmed my thoughts

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects