Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bedroom wainscot panelling

homeinmelbourne
Becoming a Leader

Bedroom wainscot panelling

DIY Bedroom Wainscot Panelling

We wanted to add a feature wainscot panelling wall behind the bedhead to keep it consistent with the panelling throughout the house renovation. It was a relatively easy and inexpensive DIY project and adds some character to what would otherwise have been a blank white bedroom wall.

How we did our DIY bedroom wainscoting:

• We measured the wall dimensions and sketched up a plan to work out the panel spacings. Important to get the spacings right and proportionate to the size of the room. We also measured the height of the bedhead to allow the wainscoting to still be seen with the bedhead in front of it.
  • With a laser, we nailed on the bottom horizontal rail (110 x 18mm MDF Primed).
  • We used liquid nails and brad nails to install a 3mm MDF sheet to act as a smooth backing for the wainscoting as opposed to using the standard plaster on the wall (can sometimes be slightly textured).
  • We then lined up the laser for the top rail and used liquid nails and brad nailed the top horizontal rail on (110 x 18mm MDF Primed).
  • We individually measured and cut the vertical battens (67 x 12mm MDR Primed).
  • Used the vertical laser to get the alignment and nailed each vertical batten on ensuring each batten had a snug fit.
  • Final bottom skirting (140 x 18mm Primed Colonial Moulding) was nailed on to tie in with all the other skirtings on the adjacent walls.
  • Used a punch tool to punch in any brad nails that were sitting high and filled all the nail holes with a multipurpose filler.
  • Caulked all the joints and junctions using Selleys No More Gaps Interior.
  • Sanded the filler and painted using 2 coats of British Paints 4 in 1 Prep Primer Sealer Undercoat on the skirting and the wainscot panelling.
  • Painted 3 coats of Dulux Wash&Wear Low Sheen (Vivid White) on the panelling and 3 coats of Dulux Wash&Wear Semi Gloss (Vivid White) on the skirting.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Re: Bedroom wainscot panelling

I love wainscoting, it always just completes a room. 👌🏻 This looks great! Thanks for sharing the process too! @homeinmelbourne 

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

@homeinmelbourne Yet another example of a job very well done. I love how you have bought another level of character into this room. 
I’m very impressed by your detailed ‘how to guide’ I understand it takes a lot of time. I am sure the workshop community will be very thankful when they are wanting to achieve the same look. 

Again, best of luck with your entry! 

Thank you so much @sandy_d and @prettyliving!

Hi @homeinmelbourne

Thank you for sharing this very popular panelling project. I believe that wainscoting is one the best features you can put into a room, especially when the room has no other visual feature other than a wall closet. It makes it visually appealing and gives the room character. The best part is that it won't cost you an arm and a leg to achieve the look.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @EricL. Yes that's right, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg but it really makes all the difference on a plain white wall.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects