Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to repair coffee table top

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Best way to repair coffee table top

I have a small coffee table that has developed a split in the timber top at both ends.

I had planned to just glue and clamp, but now wondering if that will be enough, so that is why I am asking the very talented and helpful people who visit and seek advice on this site.

I thought I may have to put some extra bracing underneath as the glue may not be strong enough.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Old GalThis is from the other side and isn't as straight as the other sideThis is from the other side and isn't as straight as the other sideSame as picture priorSame as picture priorThis crack is on the opp side close to the front edgeThis crack is on the opp side close to the front edge20200108_183248.jpg20200108_183254.jpg20200108_183300.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Best way to repair coffee table top

One side looks fairly easy, the other end looks to have bowed up as well so not sure how flat it would be clamped across the grain. PVA glue would be the easier to use but it is not as strong as epoxy. Polly glue is another alternative as it foams up and can fill in some gaps.

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Old-gal24 as Brad suggested one looks a little bowed up so will require pulling it back down and in when glueing. A mending bracket might assist to stop that as the glue may fail on that joint.

Probably a two person job for the bowed corner, or a convaluted array of clamps.

I'd use a polyurethane glue as it is stronger than PVA, just make sure to not use too much and clean up immediately, as Brad said it foams.

Disposable gloves too unless you like trying to pick it off you hands for days.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Thank you @Brad  when you say PVA is like aquadhere glue ?  I have the exterior one, is that the same?  Sorry Brad I thought PVA  was stuff kids used to glue paper projects.

Cheers

Old gal

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

That is one brand I prefer the Titebond ones as they make a Melamine as well as a waterproof one.

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Hi guys @Brad  & @MitchellM  is that like Araldite 2 part Epoxy Adhesive ?  Not sure what you are talking about when you mention foams?  Which sound like that could do the trick as one corner has a slightly bigger gap than the other, that's for sure. 

That was the main reason I asked for advice as I would have just used aquadhere glue but the corner with the bigger gap could prove to be a bigger problem.  I would hate to snap it, while trying to clamp it back together and have left it much longer that I would have because of this.  Procrastination for sure.  Through apprehension or fear of messin up, big time and ruining the table.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me with this one guys, much appreciated.

Old Gal

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Thank you @Brad  I will pop into bunnings over the weekend and see what I can find.  I had also thought of using a mending plate, just wasn't sure of what screws to use as the top isn't that thick and would hate to go through it.  Or split it worse.

Thanks again 

Old gal

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects