Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I have a stone hearth on timber floor without compressed fibro/cement layer in between?

Negroponie
Just Starting Out

Can I have a stone hearth on timber floor without compressed fibro/cement layer in between?

A7C0E2F4-4305-474B-BEC2-014C80A1C8C5.png

Hi Bunnings brains! 

Having a freestanding wood stove installed and we would ideally like a thick stone hearth on our floorboards, without a layer of compressed fibro/cement in between. Is this possible and compliant or problematic? How would you recommend preparing the floorboards to ensure a flat installation of the stones? 
Thinking of using 40mm thick paving stones in large pieces 400 x 600mm. So possibly 6 stones all up.

Also, can anyone recommend a product to join the stones together in between?

If a fibro / cement layer is essential, can you get thin sheeting that doesn’t ruin the aesthetic of the natural stone in profile?

example of stones in pic.

Thanks 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I have a stone hearth on timber floor without compressed fibro/cement layer in between?

Hi @Negroponie

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your flooring.

Before you begin your project, I recommend having a look at your local council rules and regulations relating to the installation of a free-standing wood stove. Because it is an open fire, it would likely fall under the same regulations as a fireplace. Some councils require that the back wall be lined with fire-resistant material. Others require a stone hearth with an appropriate lining underneath.

Your plan of putting in a stone hearth could line up with the council rules. As for the mortar to keep the stones together, I suggest using Lanko 5kg 156 High-Temperature Mortar. It's formulated for brick and pizza ovens and should work with your hearthstones. If the council requirements dictate that a cement sheet be placed under the stones, you'll have to follow the rules. To keep the look of the hearth without seeing the cement sheet you can always use cut pieces of the stone as a liner on the side of the hearth to cover the exposed side. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your freestanding wood stove installed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects