Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you rip fj laminated panels to save cash?

SuseMck
Cultivating a Following

Can you rip fj laminated panels to save cash?

Does anyone know if fj laminated panels (https://www.bunnings.com.au/araucoply-2100-x-900-x-30mm-clear-pine-fj-laminated-panel_p0290007?store...) can be ripped without disintegrating? I'm trying to find a cheaper option than moulding to replace my kitchen cornice and skirts. I really love the variations in the laminated panels.

Thanks guys

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Ripping wood to save cash

Thanks for your question @SuseMck.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to help when he's back on the site on Friday. Thanks for your patience in the meantime. Let me tag @tom_builds and @TedBear to see if they can offer any thoughts.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Re: Can you rip fj laminated panels to save cash?

HI @SuseMck,

I'm guessing your concern is probably that the laminated edges will not hold if you rip cut the length of the board?

I've rip cut through FJ decking with no issue so the finger joints shouldn't pose an issue. As for the lamination, there's always the possibilty of the joint coming unstuck as the timber ages and wears down, but I can't see why cutting along the length of the timber would cause that to happen any quicker.

If I was going to do this myself I would opt for a high tooth count blade and make the cut slowly so as to disturb the timber as little as possible.

Hope some of that helps, and if you do give it a go, it would be great to hear how it ended up.

Best of luck

SuseMck
Cultivating a Following

@tom_builds  definitely the laminated edges are what I'm worried about. 

I was also thinking of possibly running down the set widths within the panel but at this stage, until I can get to view the product in store, I don't know if this would suit my requirements, let alone work. I know some of the images on the website are not accurate, so I can't rely on those.

Thanks for letting me know the finger joints will hold up 😀

You could support the joins during the cutting process by clamping strips of timber across the boards, as close to the cut as your saw will allow, without it getting in the way, to absorb some of the vibrations.  However if it is likely to come apart from this process, then they wouldn't be suitable for many real-life uses.  

Fine toothed saw as @tom_builds suggest, also cutting a knife score along the edge you are keeping will reduce break-away at the edge where the saw cuts through.

Also set you saw depth such that the teeth only just cut through, plus a few mm.

That will prevent the smashing action of teeth and timber hitting each other at near right angles, which is what happens when people leave their saw set at maximum depth; instead the teeth will slide along the cut edge at the bottom and cut neatly, as well as entering and exiting the timber at the top at a gentler angle.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SuseMck

Thank you for sharing your query about the FJ Laminated Panel.

It is fantastic that you've received excellent recommendations from @tom_builds and @TedBear. Both their suggestions for cutting the FJ Laminated Panel are top-notch. I don't think you can be any more careful with their proposed cutting methods. My only added advice is to seal the panel with paint or varnish once you have cut it to your desired length. 

Sealing the timber will defend it against moisture and prevent splitting and bowing. I'm sure our members would love to see what project you are working on. Any updates you can provide during the build would be much appreciated.

If you need more information and advice, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Excellent suggestion by @EricL  to which I would add... seal or paint both sides, not just the exposed side. That advice comes from reading the experience of others who found that only treating one surface has led to the product warping at the ends.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects