Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Carpet Grippers Sticking Through Carpet

Moe
Finding My Feet

Carpet Grippers Sticking Through Carpet

Hello,

My newly installed carpet has lots of spikes (aka carpet grippers) which can be felt along the perimeter. I cut my foot the other day accidentally when my foot moved near the skirting board. It was quite painful.

Does anyone have any advice about how to manage the spikes protuding through the carpet? I understand these spikes are holding the carpet taut but I'm worried that I or someone else may cut themselves again.

I'm worried that if I hammer the spikes with the mallet they may go down completely and stop holding the carpet taut. 

Does anyone have advice on how these spikes can be managed? Is there a tool which can be used to point the spikes sideways? Or some other solution?

Appreciate any help or feedback.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Carpet Grippers Sticking Through Carpet

Hello @Home4us

Thank you for providing that information. The measurement of 3/8 refers to the thickness of the carpet padding and the 5LB is its density rating. If we convert 3/8 inches to millimeters we get roughly 10mm. Plus the thickness of the backing of your carpet you will get your overall thickness.

So if for example, we have a thickness of 10mm for carpet padding plus a carpet backing of 2mm for an overall thickness of 12mm. You will also have to add the length of carpet that particular gripper is holding. If that gripper is holding a certain length there is a certain weight rating applied to it. Using a smaller gripper might not be enough to hold the tension in the carpet. 

Let me ask the supplier for their recommendation and as soon as I have the information I will get back to you.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects