Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Coverting downstairs area to self-contained apartment

junheekm
Getting Established

Coverting downstairs area to self-contained apartment

My house is double story. On the top there are 3 bedroom, a study room, 2 bathroom, 1 living, 1 dinning and a kitchen. it is enough for myself and my sonIMG_2612.JPGIMG_2613.JPGIMG_2614.JPGIMG_2615.JPGIMG_2616.JPG.

But we rarely use downstairs which has two living areas, a laundry, a bedroom and a bathroom.

I like renovate this area for my son as a independent area for him and his partner. It must have a kitchen,  a living area, bathroom and laundry, a small study if possible.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: usage of empty space in the downstairs.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @junheekm. It's fantastic that you've joined us, and many thanks for sharing your project.

Your renovation project sounds like a wonderful idea and terrific use of space. I trust our members will be particularly keen on assisting you with advice and inspiration. You might like to think about some questions you could ask the community. Perhaps you'd like to know where to locate the different elements? It would be beneficial if you could sketch a layout plan so we can see what options might exist.

I'll be looking forward to following along with your project and providing assistance where needed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

How Can I start?

Could you contact me for more discussion please?

kind regards,

Jun Kim

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @junheekm,

The best place to start would be to plan out where you would like the kitchen, living area, bathroom, laundry and small study to go. As mentioned previously, a plan for the lower floor would be beneficial to our members when offering suggestions. Are you able to draw a plan for us illustrating the layout?

Perhaps you might like to start with the kitchen as its construction is likely to be the most involved. If you can show us an image of the area where you would like it to go and provide the room's dimensions, we will be able to put a design together for you.

I look forward to you providing more details so we can get started on making suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects