Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. fireplace build

craftyhopper
Making a Splash

D.I.Y. fireplace build

2a.jpg

This DIY project was not for the faint hearted and needed more than just help from my husband!

We did everything ourselves, but had a plumber sign off our work, which included the flue installation

I bought everything from Bunnings, including:

• The Scandia wood heater & flue kit
  • All timber framing for the fire, bookshelves & pine that I used to make the mantel shelf (which I also stained)
  • The stone cladding which is an external cladding stone from the garden section
  • The tiles for the Heath which are 60x60 indoor floor tiles (the same ones i used in the ensuite makeover)
  • Even the fire tool kit is from Bunnings

I documented each stage of the build with photos. Here is how it went....

3.JPEG3aa.PNG3aaa.jpg3b.jpg3c.jpg3d.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg1a.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY fireplace build

Absolutely stunning work, @craftyhopper; you must be exceptionally thrilled with the results.

Did you run into any difficulties or particular successes?

Many thanks for sharing, as I trust your project will provide our members considering their own fireplace installation with some fantastic inspiration.

I can't wait to see your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc , By far its my most favourite renovation achievement.

There were a couple of things that we came up against:

• The most significant which came up at the design stage, was that we had to use some space from the room behind to house part of the flue. We had to protrude into the other room by about 250mm, as i didn't want too compromise on how deep the shelves were or they would have been right up against the window
  • Once we started demoing the wall & ceiling, we noticed that a roof rafter went straight across where we needed to put the flue; so we had to split it. Luckily husband is a carpenter and we have lots of builder friends, so we knew what we could and couldn't do &  we got a 2nd opinion 
  • Once the fireplace was complete, we started the bookshelf on the right; we used particle board! This was a mistake! The cut edges were really rough, so I had to plaster them . Once it was painted it was ok but a lot more work went into it vs. the left bookshelf when we did in MDF 
  • And finally, the wood heater was VERY heavy. I manage to help get it into the house, but we needed extra help to get it into position in the wall

Other than that, it was fairly straightforward. I love the result & its a great feature

Many thanks for the additional details, @craftyhopper. They really help to paint the whole picture.

Congrats on a marvellous job once again.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects