Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Design for storage around TV

james73
Growing in Experience

Design for storage around TV

Capture.PNG

something like this 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Design for storage around TV

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @james73. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for starting a discussion.

Could you provide a little more detail about the image you have supplied? Is this something you would like direction on achieving? If so, perhaps you would like to show us an image of the room it is to go into, so our members have a better idea of how to guide you.

I look forward to hearing more information about your project and providing assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
james73
Growing in Experience

Really wanted to know what should I use Ply or pine I presume mdf not strong enough 

best way to attach to wall

Going to be @ 5m long 2.2m heigh 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You could use MDF for some of the unit, and it's potentially a good option. The boxed sections around the TV, for instance, could be made from it. However, since MDF is not timber, it doesn't like long unsupported lengths and will sag considerably. Those long shelves would need some support midway to prevent this.

Ply does this as well, but not to the same extent. An issue with plywood is that it's hard to achieve a high level of finish on its edges because of the laminations. If you were going to paint it, you'd likely have to fill the edge with timber putty and sand it down. To get a smooth surface on the ply, you also need to go from premium varieties.

I would advise using pine for this cabinet. It appears to be built off the floor, and nothing is attached solely to the wall. You could fix it with hidden L brackets to the studs to make sure it doesn't topple forward.

I'm eager to follow along, as this is going to be quite an impressive project. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @james73 

Since you've seen the design you like its time for pen and paper and tape measure. What is the size of the wall. How many cabinets where you planning on? How big is the TV ( very important! ) How tall will it be? How many shelves are needed? Do you have consoles and decoder boxes and amplifiers? How deep are the cabinets. If you post the size of your wall, I will try to do a mock up for you with measurements.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

james73
Growing in Experience

Thanks Red I have found thanks to this site sketchit and here is  my first draft love using it and would love your feedback still trying to keep cost down with mdf but wondering what thickness should use don’t want saggy shelves 

84048DB5-8AB2-400A-BC66-C1F32F23487C.jpeg

Hello @james73 

Congratulations you've just stepped in to a larger world of planning and diy! 

- try using the push and pull tool to create thickness for your panels. A good default thickness is 16mm.

- consider where you will assemble the cabinet. In the garage and transfer to living room or straight in to the wall and assemble in the living room.

- dust, debree and mess must be taken in to account when assembling in living room.

- time allocated for the project.

- wires and cable consideration, where will they pass through and will you be drilling in to the shelves?

- shelf led lights Yes? No?

Just some things to consider. I will get back to you on the mdf issue.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects