Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you need to patch holes before laying SPC flooring?

adamliaw
Getting Established

Do you need to patch holes before laying SPC flooring?

Hi, I am planning to install spc flooring in my bedroom (~11m^2). After removing the old carpet and tack strip, there are chips/holes from the tack strip nail as picture below.

My question is that is it ok to lay spc plank with 1.5mm ixpe underlay on top of the concrete surface?

or do I have to patch the holes? 

or is self leveling concrete a MUST in this situation?  The overal floor surface is pretty flat without any big bumps. 

20231018_111813357_iOS.jpg20231018_111823146_iOS.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Carpet tack strip damage

Hello @adamliaw 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing carpet tack strip damage.

If you wish to check that your cement floor is level, I suggest using a large spirit level to make sure that the concrete floor is totally flat. I would only recommend using self-levelling concrete if there is a severe dip or uneven spot in the concrete flooring.   

Once you have checked that the floor is level, it's ok to start laying down the underlay and floating floor set. However, before you begin, I suggest giving the floor a thorough clean up with a broom and a vacuum cleaner. This will remove any dirt and debris that might have settled on the concrete floor. 

If you are worried about the damage on the concrete floor, I propose filling it in with Parfix 1kg Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler. Your goal is to have it as close to level as possible so that you'll have to do very little sanding. It's better to patch the damage rather than having to discover that the holes have affected your floorings level. 

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to prepare for floating floor? by @mich1972

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
adamliaw
Getting Established

Hi @EricL,

Thank you for your response, yes i have checked the discussion by @mich1972 . It helped me a lot. 

I do have one question for patching the concrete floor tho, so I currently have Selleys Gap Filler 435g Spakfilla Heavy Duty Interior And Exterior

can i use this to fill up the damage instead?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @adamliaw 

The Selleys Gap Filler 435g Spakfilla Heavy Duty Interior And Exterior will work as it can be applied to concrete and masonry.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your flooring project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects