Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Flat pack computer desk - drawer slider issue.

Jules78
Getting Established

Flat pack computer desk - drawer slider issue.

Hi I have just had a large computer desk flat pack built by my handyman however the keyboard drawer will not slide in all the way and sticks halfway out

the drawer sliders were already installed when delivered every other drawer is fine can you give me some idea why and should I perhaps replace them?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Flat pack computer desk- drawer slider issue.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jules78. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

You might have already done so, but did you ask the handyman why the drawer is sticking halfway out? Apart from an installation error (I note you mentioned the sliders were already installed), perhaps there is a defect in the mechanism. I would be contacting the manufacturer and questioning them about the issue. If it was one of our products and you could provide details I would be more than happy to follow it up with our supplier.

Failing being able to communicate with the supplier you will need to work out why the drawer is not sliding in. There would be some type of obstruction. If you look from underneath and observe when it stops it could lead to why it's not working. This could be a screw that hasn't been driven in fully and is impeding the slider. You might also like to take a few pictures of the drawer and the sliding mechanism for our members to see.

You should also try taking the drawer off completely then re-installing it. Occasionally I've seen drawer sliders bind up and stop sliding when they are not fixed on the sliding tracks correctly.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

20200920_104227.jpg

20200920_105437.jpg20200920_113613.jpg

Hope Photos are helpful

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Jules78,

Your first photo shows the door slider fully retracted and your second photo shows it not retracted by a few inches. What is the difference between these two images? Is it not retracting in the second image or have you just pulled it out for illustration purposes? If the sliding mechanism retracts fully without the drawer attached, then it suggestions that either the slider needs to be moved further back on the desk or where it is mounted on the drawer needs to be moved further forward.

If the slider if working perfectly on its own then it is a mounting position issue.

Let me mention @redracer01 to see if he can think of any other reasons why the drawer is not closing. 

Mitchell

I extended the slider for photo and yes the slider when detached from the desk works perfectly on the drawer when it is returned to the desk

in its original position it sticks again I to have been wondering if it has been mounted correctly at the suppliers unfortunately my handyman had to give up for now had other jobs and was getting frustrated. However I have the tools needed if re mounting the sliders is necessary The second photo of the slider is retracted as far as it will go which is about 13 to 15cm or more from the end of the slider

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Jules78,

If you see the blue line I've indicated in the below picture, that is the furthermost point in which the slider can be attached. If the slider is moved back to the blue line it is then in the realm of closing. The slider needs to be moved back the length of the current gap that won't close at the moment.

It looks to be a combination of the slider is mounted too far forward and or the draw is mounted too far back. By moving the whole slider mech back it should solve the issue.

Mitchell

Thank you will do that

I have just taken one of the slides of the desk and have taken a better photo this is how it was mounted originally note two small prongs stopping the drawer to go any further my thought are it should be turned the other way the prongs acting to stop the drawer coming out to far?20200920_163148.jpg 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects