Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Floating Shelves - Cutting Laminated Board

prvz27
Building a Reputation

Floating Shelves - Cutting Laminated Board

Hi everyone!

So I have recently installed a study desk in my bedroom here https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Living-and-Bedroom/What-wood-to-use-for-a-study-desk-staining/m-p/454... using the Acacia Laminated Panels .

I now want to mount some floating shelves above the desk using these brackets https://www.bunnings.com.au/carinya-100-x-76-x-20mm-adjustable-floating-brackets_p3961804.  I wanted to use the exact same panel as the desk. Just wanted to know if it's possible to get them cut to size? So this is the one I was after https://www.bunnings.com.au/2200-x-600-x-26mm-acacia-solid-oiled-hardwood-project-panel_p8330032

I would like it to be 0.9m in length and 0.45m in width. If I get these cut, would the wood show?

Would appreciate any advice here.

Thanks!

prvz27
Building a Reputation

Re: Floating Shelves - Cutting Laminated Board

@MitchellMc 

Hi Mitch!

Got started on the shelves today. I'm drilling the holes for the brackets to go into the shelf, around 9cm long into the shelf. But I can't drill the holes straight! The bracket goes in at an angle, not square. I don't have a drill press either. Any tips on how I can achieve this? 

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @prvz27,

I apologise for the delay in my reply. You'll need to drill a straight pilot hole first as this will be easier than drilling the final finished hole size. If you were to pick up a Haron Dowelling Jig that will allow you to drill a 6mm, 8mm or 10mm pilot hole straight into the timber. Once the pilot hole is in place you can then follow up with the correct size drill bit for the bracket.

Please let me know how you go and if you have any other questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
prvz27
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc 

Appreciate all the help you've given so far mate. I ran into a few problems with the shelves and decided to leave them all together. I would have had to get the correct sized timber but I am over budget right now. 

Here are the problems I ran into:

1. Not getting thick enough wood - On the Carinya brackets it mentioned a minimum wood thickness of 24mm. Headed down to bunnings and one of the guys helped me out with the wood. He cut it down to 240mm x 26mm. When I went to insert the bracket, after carving out the rebate, it wasn't fitting. I needed thicker timber. This was my mistake as I thought 26mm was above the minimum mentioned on the bracket and assumed it would have been the right thickness. 35mm would have been perfect as I had a scrap piece of wood and the bracket fitted perfectly whilst leaving ample space above and below the rebate.

2. Tedious drilling process - The dowelling jig made it very easy to get a nice 10mm square hole. However, I needed 12mm holes. When I used my drill to make the hole bigger, the drill kept getting stuck, I would have to drill out and drill back in again on and on until I got the hole to the required size. 

Overall, it was a great learning experience. I will definately have another go in the future! 

This is the minimal office/study area currently. I used another one of the beautiful acacia panels and brackets. The chair is on the way as we have ordered it!

116161289_296636638117482_4289818258321566006_n.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects