Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Flooring for art studio - what are some economical, on-your-feet options?

DrKMcB
Getting Established

Flooring for art studio - what are some economical, on-your-feet options?

Hello, I'm currently converting a media room into my art studio, and would like to know 1) options and 2) how-to for those options for my flooring, please. The flooring needs to be shock-absorbing to support being on my feet for hours, and ideally light-colored/light-reflecting to maximise the natural light in the room. It also needs to be firm enough to support holding furniture, including some that get moved around on wheels. I would like the flooring to be economical to put in - in part because it will be replaced with proper flooring if we ever move out, but also because this will be a 'wet' area where paint splashes regularly. Being on a budget, ideally I can (learn how to) install myself. 

Currently, we have a concrete slab (we just ripped up the high pile carpet and riser that was previously there), so I think some kind of underlay is needed beneath whatever option I go for, over the top. The carpet that was there was so high pile that the room door couldn't close over it, hence deciding to remove. I attach some pics - painting currently in progress, and lighting is to come! I also attach a floor layout I drew - the space is 6m x 3m, with two corner indented and a glass sliding door on that same side. 

Here are some flooring top options I can see - do you see any others? Do you have other ideas?

1. Thin (eg 4mm) sheets of hardboard laid loosely, taped together with duct tape. Cld paint the wood white. 
  2. 9mm ply with a melamine coat (good to reflect light) - eg ‘white matt MR-MDF 400x1200. Use duct tape (eg T REX 50mm wide) to tape one edge about 20 mm and then reversed it for the second layer- (total width approx 80mm) so the layers end up overlapping.
  3. Carpet tiles - (I think?) easy to lay down and are shock-absorbing, but I may need to overlay with cardboard to prevent too much paint getting stuck and gross on the carpet. (I have used cardboard over carpet in previous paint spaces and it does work, just doesn’t look great).

Here are some underlay options I can see - what are your thoughts?

1. Carpet tiles 
  2. Some kind of underlay used beneath click-together floor boards

Can you pls also tell me what tools and steps you recommend for doing what you suggest? I don't have a lot of tools yet either - an IKEA hammer and screw set, a handful of wrenches, etc. 

I'm hoping what's needed for the job can all be bought at Bunnings! Many thanks

walls in progress 1.JPGwalls in progress 2.JPGArt studio lighting.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Flooring for art studio - what are some economical, on-your-feet options?

Looks like a great space @DrKMcB.

Can I please ask what kind of art you produce? It might help members suggest the best approach to know how "messy" your creative process could be!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DrKMcB
Getting Established

Oh that’s a great clarification! My bad for omitting. I am a painter - working mainly with acrylic paint and other water based materials. V occasionally used oil based or mixed media but all is 2D. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DrKMcB,

I think it would be a good idea to complete the room using flooring that would be suitable to leave when you move out. I suggest going with an underlay (to provide a small amount of cushioning) and then Hybird Vinyl flooring. This flooring is robust and waterproof and available in lighter colours such as Floor Select 7mm 1.76sqm Pinnacle Smoke SPC Hybrid. For areas where you'll be actively working and standing for a long period, I would cover the flooring with anti-fatigue matting, which will also provide protection for the flooring and minimise the amount of paint it encounters. For the rest of the room, if there is a chance of getting paint on it, I'd suggest taping temporary floor protection down.

Hybrid flooring is easy to install yourself. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to lay vinyl plank flooring.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Have you considered something like a dirty pour enamel floor and just some carpet mats to stand on. This is what we did for my wifes studio?IMG_1914.jpgIMG_1916.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JDE 

Thank you so much for sharing photos of your project. I'm sure @DrKMcB will them inspirational.

Eric

DrKMcB
Getting Established

Oh I love the look of your wife’s studio! Look at that space, light and layout. Not heard of pour enamel floor, did you do it yourself? I like how joyful it looks 

JDE
Becoming a Leader

We built it all cupboards building the lot. Dirty pour is a base enamel colour then you splash contrasting colours on top to get the patterns. This was my wifes first attempt at it. The big thing is the prep. You will have to clean and etch the concrete surface first. And when pouring you will need someone to mix for you while you get arty so it doesnt go off on you. There was no one locally who had heard or done it. So spent a lot of time watching you tube and reading.  JDE

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects