Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Floorplan help - new wardrobe positions

Dallas_Mc
Cultivating a Following

Floorplan help - new wardrobe positions

3D826C32-36B1-488B-8DEE-7DBA76A6598D.jpeg

Looking to get some ideas on where best to place some wardrobes in the bedrooms. Would be looking to have floor to ceiling (3m) ones, so plenty of storage!

we live in a Californian bungalow, so nice sash windows give us plenty of light, so don’t want to impact them.

highlighted some options on the pic but would love some thoughts from the community.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Floorplan help - new wardrobe positions

Thanks for your post @Dallas_Mc.

Let me tag some wonderful members who might like to share their thoughts with you about where they would put wardrobes: @prettyliving@2Belindas@Brad@ProjectPete@JDE 

Can you please also confirm that you want to keep all the existing wardrobes in the room top left on your floorplan? It obviously doesn't give you any extra storage space, but one idea might be to change access to one of the existing built-in wardrobes from the top room to the adjoining room.   

And can you confirm that the fireplace in the master bedroom is staying?  

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dallas_Mc
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for the reply @Jason.

We're thinking of keeping the built-in's in the smaller room due to the double brick walls, and the fireplace in both the bedrooms.

Hi @Dallas_Mc,

Are there any pre-existing layouts for furniture and beds in these rooms at the moment that you would like to keep? You might wish to keep a bed facing out the window for example. Without measurements on the rooms, it would be a bit hard to tell whether the locations we suggest would actually work with the layout of the room. It wouldn't make much sense for us to suggest a certain wall if that meant the bed would no longer fit in that room or access to one side of it was limited.

Perhaps if there are some elements in the room you wish to keep the same you could add them to the plan. The dimensions of the rooms would also assist.

There are a few fantastic D.I.Y articles which you could find beneficial:

I look forward to hearing what our other member's thoughts are on your layout and offering some great suggestions on your project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

One problem with floor to ceiling wardrobes is they have to be built in place.

If you are going to use a kick board? You could use some screw in levelling feet and raise it after you have it in place. Sliding doors will need some clearance at the top to get it fitted to the tracks.

Diagonal measurement of the side will need to be under your ceiling height if you want to build anything that can be stood up after building.

My maths on my own wardrobe using the 345 method gives me 3000mm clearance needed with a 600mm width with a 2400mm height. That gives me 600mm to fill in which for me is too much space to fill in, I am prepared to lose 300mm so I am thinking I will need a three piece build with the sliding doors 2700mm high x 1200mm wide and 19mm thick which will give me 150mm top and bottom to fill in to have them look centred.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects