Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grandson asked for a desk for his birthday

Madmoggy
Having an Impact

Grandson asked for a desk for his birthday

Using quarter sheets of mdf from Bunnings (18mm) easy to fit in the car cut these to make the desk fit 1000 long 400 deep to match the flat pack Bunnings sell and 730 work height. Screwed two shelves under neat and made a box (black) for under the desk. The shelves I cut to give home some shelving and made the top 400 deep and the shelves only 200 so mum has some room for stuff for him. The existing light was taken into account. Glue sand screwed and filled with builders bog, sanded back and a sealer coat of BP 4in1 and two coats aquanamel satin white.

all installed for 8.9.20 🛠🍷❤️

InstalledInstalledIn useIn use

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ten year osld grandson asked for a desk for his birthday

Hi @Madmoggy,

Many thanks for sharing your project. The unit looks very well made and perfect for your grandson. The finish you've achieved on that MDF is fantastic.

How long did it take you to put together?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: ten year osld grandson asked for a desk for his birthday

Hi Mitchell I spread it out over a few days, the first day was assembling the desk and shelves and bogging the screw holes. Next day I sanded and undercoated it all with a small roller and brush.  I then gave 5he other coats a good day between them giving the undercoat and first coat a light sand with 320 grit paper. The weather was a little cold so I wanted to make sure the paint had good drying time

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects