Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hamptons-style buffet TV unit

Lemons2Riches
Building a Reputation

Hamptons-style buffet TV unit

Found this amazing piece off gumtree, and decided to DIY a gorgeous Hampton’s Buffett/TV unit, 3 days with 12 hours per day of labour and it looks as though it came straight off the showroom floor! One of my favourite pieces I couldn’t part with it, so I decided to gift to to my mother for Mother’s Day! 

133175F6-9FB9-408A-AA5E-F54726473B0C.jpeg

C245B60B-0114-402F-A861-3027AA29E534.jpeg

11F2D286-88BD-47FA-AE1E-47481C487946.jpeg

1A8703AD-8D50-4513-A6AA-F0FE89C1AA25.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Hamptons-style buffet TV unit

Hi @Lemons2Riches,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Workshop community. It is great to have you join us and share your incredible upcycle project with us. You'll find that Workshop is a fantastic place to get and give inspiration and advice, if you ever have questions about the forum please feel free to reach to me. 

Wow, simply, wow! This piece is definitely a show-stopper. I love your soft colour choice and how the natural timber top and shelves really compliment the entire buffet. I don't blame you for not wanting to part with it! For someone who would love to recreate your projects, what steps did you take and what products did you use? Any tips or tricks to share? 

Great job.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lemons2Riches
Building a Reputation

Hi Katie!!! Thanks so much for the warm welcome, I’ll be sure to reach out to you with any questions regarding the forum! 

Im so glad you love this piece, it’s one of my best, the steps I used was the following… 

- Pull all and any pieces, drawers, shelves off and removed all the hinges and slides. 
- Scuff sand with a high grit anything over 250 grit will do perfect, and just made sure to follow the wood grain. 
- Then with the top piece I used the toughest grit, about 60 (if my memory is correct) and spent a lonnnnng time sanding back the top to reveal the gorgeous wood! 
- I then primed using Bulleye 123 all over the body

- then went in with a white dulux mix (so sorry I don’t have the name!) 

- over the top I used October brown carbots varnish. 
- then went over the piece using a gloss clear coat protector! 

to paint the entire piece I decided to use brushes and sponges! I felt like it was easier to get into the nooks and cranny’s. 

hope this helps you!! Please let me know if you have any other questions! :smile: you can also visit my tik tok @lemons_to_riches to see the full transformation. 

Hi @Lemons2Riches,

Thank you for sharing your process. I wouldn't have thought to use a sponge for tight spots but it just makes so much sense! The October brown varnish was a perfect choice for your timber as well. I am definitely looking forward to seeing more of your projects. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lemons2Riches
Building a Reputation

Thanks so much Katie! Happy to share! :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects