Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I improve the finish on the resin ?

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

How can I improve the finish on the resin ?

14E4BBC3-9CB1-4144-9D42-E207B6999AFF.jpeg

Resin & camphor laurel timber.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I improve the finish on the resin ?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Former Workshop member. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

That's an absolutely stunning table you have there with an amazing finish on it already. Did you make this yourself? What exactly would you like to improve on it? Are you envisaging a "wet look" glossy finish instead of this natural matt one? If so, a product like Feast Watson 1m² Glass Finish would likely achieve that for you.

It would be great to hear more about what you would like to improve as I think it looks amazing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Hi Mitchell,

yes I did make it , not sure if I have sanded the resin enough to get the “glass finish”. Thank you for your recommendation for the Feast Watson product.

just a beginner with the resin & timber work.This lamp was another I made, learning from mistakes as I go.

EE3A7DB0-528E-4F7A-B243-C2AB429F1C6B.jpeg

@Former Workshop member 

to get the best results you will need to use 240 grit 320 grit, grit 400, grit 600, grit 800, 1200 through to 15000 grit followed by a liquid polish. I use this process when making pens. you can get packs of these grits from Timberbits, Sand paper man, Pops Shed and any other place that supplies materials for wood turning

Hi @Former Workshop member,

I see @r23on has provided the solution. Resin transitions from opaque to clear after the 1200 grit mark. I've managed to get reasonably clear results moving from 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper to an automotive cut and polish. As @r23on has mentioned, getting perfectly clear resin requires you to step up through multiple grits right through to 15000.

What grit have you gone to already?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Hi r23on,

thanks for the reply, I think I also used too much colour in the resin for the result I wanted. 
I need to look at buying higher number grit .

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Hi Mitchell,
I don’t think I was anywhere near 15000 grit, I did use wet & dry but not sure it was over 1200.

Once you use the hight grit that will change however you will have a darker colour

I am having trouble uploading a photo as soon as I can sort it out I will upload a photo. in mean time try some of the places I gave.

That is a nice pice of timber ist it camphor laurel?

seam ripper.jpg

This is the finish you should get with 15000 grit

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Yes its camphor laurel. It was an idea to do something different as a first project instead of a square or rectangle table top.

Your finish with the 15000 looks great. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects