Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I seal drafty windows?

Dreamymoon
Getting Established

How can I seal drafty windows?

My windows have cold breezes which come through. I don’t want to buy the sealing kit as I have no hair dryer. What could I use? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how can i seal up my drafty windows

Hello @Dreamymoon

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about sealing your windows.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your windows? This will give our members a good idea of its condition. We can then make recommendations on how to seal it. I suggest having a quick read of this discussion - How to winter-proof your home. You'll find some handy tips to seal off the frame of your window. 

But if the wind is passing through the timber frame itself you may need to employ a different kind of sealant. If you need a hand posting the pictures, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dreamymoon
Getting Established

02F9230F-5140-4547-898E-109522C79EA9.jpeg134A5443-C05C-454E-87DF-D98E5378CC61.jpeg

Hi @Dreamymoon,

Could you please share another photo of your windows without the curtains?

Thanks,

Jason

If you can identify where the breeze is coming through the window, that would also be helpful for our members when they are providing solutions @Dreamymoon. Once we know where the gap is, we can give you some detailed advice on sealing it. When it's windy outside, you can search for the leak by using a tissue from which you've separated the plys. Cut a thin strip of this single-ply and then hold it around the window in various locations. Since the tissue is light, it will easily move from the entering wind and help identify the suspect area.

I'm a fan of using Moroday 24 x 3mm x 10m Grey PE Foam Tape where the window closes and meets the frame. As the window closes, it compresses the foam strip and seals gaps. It has a sticky back which makes installation easy. Just make sure the surface is nice and clean before adhering to it. This Raven 2.5m White Foam Door And Window Sea is also handy as you can cut strips of it and pack it into any gaps around the window frame.

I look forward to seeing that image and hearing more about where you suspect the leak to be.

Mitchell

Dreamymoon
Getting Established

Hi there. I tried taking these pictures. 

D71D2BDF-9A29-4DDA-A2F7-E435558342D1.jpeg2A1C85AA-0E78-46B7-8995-A903945553F5.jpeg6F01D7EF-8B0F-4C57-9734-8DD8CE8717D5.jpeg

I’m not sure where gap is exactly but I know air is coming in as the curtains move during a breeze with windows closed. I did buy some bubble wrap which I plan on adhering with water soon. 

With the window closed and locked, go around the perimeter of the window where it meets the frame and try to slide a piece of paper between the window and the frame. If you can easily slide the paper between the two, then there is a gap that wind could be getting through. If this is the case, I'd recommend the products I linked to above to seal the gap. You can place the sealing strip on the windowpanes exterior timber surround or the house side of the window frame. The idea is that the foam strip is compressed when the window is shut.

Apart from sealing the actual window when it's shut, you'll need to inspect the whole window frame looking for gaps visually. If the piece of paper slides into them, you need to seal them. Use gap filler for finer gaps where the foam strip won't work.

Mitchell

Is there a way to do this without going outside? My room is technically top floor of house. It isn’t a two story house but our main level is off the ground 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dreamymoon

Yes, you can do it from the inside of the house. I suggest measuring each window you plan to seal so that you'll have a good idea of how much you'll need.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to seal a window

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects