Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I seal drafty windows?

Dreamymoon
Getting Established

How can I seal drafty windows?

My windows have cold breezes which come through. I don’t want to buy the sealing kit as I have no hair dryer. What could I use? 

Dreamymoon
Getting Established

Re: how can i seal up my drafty windows

Thank you. I did buy some foam strip from trademe last year for my mum but it made no difference. I see there are so many types of sealing. What works the best?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dreamymoon 

I suggest using the item my colleague suggested the Moroday 24 x 3mm x 10m Grey PE Foam Tape. In order to determine which seal is right for you, I suggest closing the window and doing a gap test. I propose using a piece of paper to see if it fits between the lip of the window and window frame. 

I recommend giving it another go and make sure to use the Moroday branded product. Remember to make the foam seals tight and secure on the corners. It only takes one gap to let the wind in.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dreamymoon
Getting Established

Wasn’t sure on exact name when I went into store, but we got this. Is this ok?image.jpg

our front door is also super draughty and we are having slugs enter our house. We put up door seal they crawled up side of door! Never heard of anything like it…. So hoping this will be ok for door too?

That should work @Dreamymoon. It's a multi-purpose product that can be used in many situations. Make sure to clean the surface down well before adhering the sticking backed foam to it.

Please keep us updated and reach out if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Ok I put it up. Unsure if I did it right but I tried hard. It may have helped I can’t know until it gets really windy but my wind chime still moved so some air is getting in still. Noticed it was icy at the very top of my window and it did help remove the iciness when I put on tape. Will wait to see how it goes in winter as it’s a freezer in here then

Please keep us updated on your results and feel free to reach out if you need further assistance @Dreamymoon.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects