Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I add a lock to sliding doors?

NikiT
Just Starting Out

How do I add a lock to sliding doors?

Hi experts, I’m looking for a few opinions before I install locks to my sliding doors. What tools do I need from scratch, the steps, and whether I can actually do it myself? I’m super new to these, don’t even own a driller, and only have screwdrivers (haha)

Otherwise, how much would you think it’ll cost to get someone to install? 

AC84A73D-0905-4A0A-B084-CC934BE92A68.png

EEFD5AE6-29A5-4F24-A246-A0E6590CEBE4.jpeg

 

54D767F3-4C16-4366-BD51-4D3637C02D0A.jpeg

176AC0F8-9D15-4CE2-B8FE-8C674CE77E3E.jpeg

  

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: Opinions? How do I put a lock to sliding doors?

Hi @NikiT 

I had a similar issue with my sliding doors - I am not a real expert in this area but I did want to add some security to my sliding doors, in particular for when I went away overnight. I used some patio bolts. Very easy to put in and can be locked if required - though they work without locking. It was much simpler than having to put in more complicated sliding door handles and locks. Might not be what you need but it worked for me. 

I bought these more expensive ones which allowed me to get the keys 'matched' with my other external doors. https://www.bunnings.com.au/lockwood-black-patio-door-bolt_p4220868 

NikiT
Just Starting Out

Re: Opinions? How do I put a lock to sliding doors?

Thanks for your opinion Rob! I was wondering it looks like I’d have to drill to the floor, from that bolt link you provided.. is that what you did? I have that steel at the bottom of my sliding door, so I don’t really know if I need to drill through that ? Or? Kinda scared to damage the steel / floor.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do I add a lock to sliding doors?

Hi @NikiT 

I see @robchin gave some great advice! 

Later today @EricL  will be online and I am sure he will have more to add. 

Check out this post in the meantime as @MitchellMc gave some installation suggestions about How to fix sliding door lock? | Bunnings Workshop community.

for @Fixmyhouse .  

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I add a lock to sliding doors?

Hello @NikiT

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @robchin. I totally agree with his recommendation. Using a Patio Bolt is one of the easiest ways to secure a sliding door. However, If you've never done it before, I recommend engaging the services of a tradesperson or putting the job out on Hipages or Airtasker.

It's not something I would classify as an easy D.I.Y. job. Incorrect drilling points, misalignment of fittings could end up costing you more. The same goes for the more complicated locking mechanisms such as the Rolltrak Black Sliding Patio Door Keyed Lock Set. These units also need to be precisely mounted so that they line up with the locking sleeve on the other side.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects