Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix this spray paint?

yumnaqazi
Growing in Experience

How do I fix this spray paint?

16266734542885560273280271670225.jpg

 this is wet spray paint and I dont know what happened. I need to fix it . This is my first time please help 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I fix this spray paint?

Hi @yumnaqazi,

Sorry for the slow reply. 

Could you please tell us what you are spray painting? And could you share another photo of how it looks now it has dried?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Yumnaqazi did this happen when you were putting on the second coat or was this the first coat of spray?

JDE

yumnaqazi
Growing in Experience

this was the second coat 

20210720_221907.jpg

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Ive had this happen to me years ago. I cant remember type of paint cheap spray can. But second coat had to be done while first was still wet or after 24hrs when first coat totally dry. I didnt read the side of the can and tried to tochup in between . I should have known better. I had to let it set and sand it back and start again. If you didn't have this problem after first coat this is most likely the case. If you had it after first coat its more likely you are trying to put acrylic over enamel or vice versa. In this case you will need to sand back paint with a sealer/ primer and repaint JDE

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @yumnaqazi

Thank you for sharing your concern with your spray painting project.

Paint wrinkling occurs when the first coat is dry on the surface but has not cured internally. When the second coat is applied the paint shrinks and contracts pulling the top of the first coat causing wrinkles. There is also the possibility that the original surface is still contaminated with grease and oil. 

I agree with @JDE's recommendation. Sand it back and repaint the unit. I strongly suggest letting the first coat of paint totally cure. Cold temperatures and highly humid areas will slow down the drying process so consider these in the drying process. I recommend placing the furniture in a warm dry spot in the house if possible. We would love to see your project, once you have finished painting it.

If you need further advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects