Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a gate to a baby playpen?

because21
Just Starting Out

How to add a gate to a baby playpen?

IMG_3807.jpeg

IMG_3812.jpeg

  

Hi all ! I have a freshly made 8 months old crawler here so I bought her this playpen.

https://www.babybunting.com.au/product/tikktokk-little-boss-square-timber-plapen-natural-121285

We like it but it doesnt really open/have a gate. Climbing over it is fine but put a grown adult in it and I feel like I am invading my baby’s space. 

The panel is made out of wood, it’s quite soft and light. And I want to create an opening/door for me. 
i dont have tools except for very basic stuff but I can hunt things down. I just want to know what do you experts think I need to get. 
i am happy to do it. Or if someone wants to meet at Bunnings Ashfield and help me out

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add a gate to a baby playpen?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @because21. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about modifying a baby playpen.

You need to be aware that playpens undergo stringent testing to ensure they are safe for use around babies. Any modification you make to them could potentially place your child at risk. I initially thought that your modifications could be considered, but I'm now quite concerned that something could go wrong with them. For instance, placing hinges or locking mechanisms on your new door creates potential snag points for the child's clothing. If their bib or collar of a jumpsuit becomes snagged and they fall over, that would pose a significant risk of strangulation. I'd urge you to consider buying another unit that suits your needs better.

As much as this might seem like an infinitely small risk, it's what keeps me up at night.

I note that the original supplier doesn't appear to have many options with doors. Given that, you might like to take a look at the Perma Child Safety White Ultimate 3-in-1 Playpen Barrier.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects