Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach rattan webbing to a table top?

Ema
Finding My Feet

How to attach rattan webbing to a table top?

I'm wanting to attach rattan/ cane webbing to a table top.. how can I achieve this please.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach rattan webbing to a table top?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ema. It's terrific that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question.

Is this a natural rattan/cane webbing or a synthetic alternative? Also, what is the tabletop made from and if it is timber, does it have a varnish or coating? Perhaps you might like to show us an image of the tabletop, so our members have a better idea of what you are working with.

I look forward to hearing more about your project and providing some solutions for adhering your rattan to the tabletop.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

Thankyou for getting back to me so quickly. Basically I have a picture and an idea in my head of how I want the table to look like. My plan is to buy a large old round or oval timber dining table to upcycle... sand it back paint the base white, lime wash the top then attach the rattan/ cane on the top. Any advice on the best way to lime wash also would be great😉I have no idea which would be best, natural or synthetic?. I have already bought dining chairs to replace rattan and paint white. Thanks again look forward to your feedback. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ema,

You might find it hard to purchase a natural rattan, and it might be easier to find a synthetic alternative. You could adhere natural rattan with PVA wood glue and a synthetic with contact adhesive. Personally, I would prefer the look of natural rattan. However, on a tabletop, it could be an idea to use synthetic as a natural material will wear fairly quickly.

We have the Feast Watson Liming White available, which would work well for your project. 

To lime wash, you must sand your timber to a smooth surface and remove all dust before coating. Previously varnished surfaces need to be sanded to a dull finish. Use an off-cut or on an inconspicuous area to test the colour to ensure you are happy with your choice. Make sure the Stain and Varnish is thoroughly stirred through before starting. 

Apply Stain & Varnish using a brush, roller or spray. Stain & Varnish may be thinned by using 10% mineral turpentine. If applying by roller, use a short nap (5mm) mohair roller. Ensure edges and end grain are fully coated. Provide 12 hours drying time between coats. Sand lightly between coats with fine sandpaper to get the best results. If applying over a previous varnish coating, two coats will be sufficient.

It sounds like a great project and I can't wait to see you get started. Please let us know if you have further questions. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects