Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a timber platform (riser) for a home theatre room?

KZD
Just Starting Out

How to build a timber platform (riser) for a home theatre room?

Hi,

I am looking to build a home theatre room riser which is basically a rectangular platform made of 190x45 structural pine timber cuts as base structure with particleboard on top. I'm planning on using joint hangers for each joist. 

My issue is the 190x45 will be two layers high, so wondering what's and easy way to join these together for a noobie. I'm thinking of just using spare cuts of timber vertically with screws or using a galvanised steel join panel (rectangular with holes for screws).

Also what would be the best screws to use in this scenario for the overall screwing of all the timber together? I'm thinking of going with 75mm screws as per below link.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-14-10-x-75mm-gold-passivated-bugle-head-type-17-timber-screws-50-...

Ps. I'm completely new to woodwork, any help would be greatly appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a timber platform (riser) for a home theatre room?

Hello @KZD

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a platform riser.

I suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W. This guide should give you ideas on how to build a timber frame. I suggest drawing a plan on how you'll be building the frame of the riser. How large will the frame be? Is it just a single flat riser or will you be putting a second level to it? How tall does the riser need to be? Will you be putting carpet and heavy chairs on top of the riser? These are some of the questions you'll need to consider when drawing your plan.

Once you've drawn up your plan, I recommend sharing it with the community. You can then ask any questions or concerns you might have about your plan. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a timber platform (riser) for a home theatre room?

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @KZD.

In addition to Eric's advice, you might also find the experiences shared by knowledgable community member @Prof in this article - How do you build a dedicated home theatre room?

Looking forward to seeing your home theatre come together. Please share regular updates as you progress and don't hesitate to ask for a hand whenever you need it.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects