Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose timber for bookshelves?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

How to choose timber for bookshelves?

In wanting to build a few bookcases I ran into a hitch when selecting timber.  With all my recent purchases of  tools, plants, pots and soils from my friendly Bunnings store, the budget has become tight.  But the selection of good grade plywood has become slim and the price of DAR pine is high.  I want to use dowel plugs as I don't have the confidence to used drills and screws.  The pallet breaking is ongoing but time is against me.  

So are there any suggestions from the workshop Brain's Trust? 

The bookshelves need to be operational by next Monday.  Eek! 😖

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber choices for bookshelves

Hello @Tyro 

Did you have a specific cabinet size in mind? Have you considered using 2400 x 1200mm 16mm MDF Panel Standard? You can build a very large bookcase with just two panels and with a little bit of artistry with timber trim you can make it look very presentable.

I understand that you've not had a lot of experience with drills and screws, but this is the perfect opportunity to sharpen your skills. I recommend grabbing some off cut panels and practicing your drilling skills on them. 

The other option of course is look for an affordable precut cabinet such as the Montgomery 1805 x 400 x 400mm White 1 Door Cupboard.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @EricL 

Thank you for the suggestions!  As always your advice is sheer  brilliannce!  🤸‍♀️👏👏👏

Your idea to practice on offcuts has me banging my head on the table!  I have no idea why I didn't think of that (maybe I just need more coffee!)!

Cheers

@Tyro 

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Also @EricL , while I was looking for a storage solution recently I came across a fantastic find at Bunnings!  While the Montgomery cupboard looks ok, I discovered the Bedford cupboards and cabinets.  I've just purchased nine pieces of their range from Bunnings!  The company employs and supports community members with intellectual and learning disabilities.  So  I'm happier to give them my custom rather than help someone buy another luxury car!  Five stars to Bedford's!  

An fyi for the workshop community:

https://bedfordgroup.com.au/business-initiatives/bedford-furniture

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tyro 

I'm glad you've found something that works for you. I hope all your books fit inside the cabinets you've chosen. Please don't forget to post a photo once they are all assembled. I'm sure our members will be keen to see how you've laid them out.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects