Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber television unit repurposed

joelle1
Finding My Feet

Timber television unit repurposed

Repurposed my solid timber TV unit using the theme contemporary /Art Deco style. 

There was nothing wrong with this unit and I didn’t want to sell it on is it was a solid piece of furniture but was not fitting in with my contemporary Reno. 

image.jpg

Materials

• Dulux chalk paint colour matched to bay leaf green (laminate colour) 
  • Poly timber Filler 

image.jpg

• Dulux clear top coat 1litre
  • Feast Watson White wash top finishes
  • Carnauba Polish
  • Black hinges and screws 
  • Castors x4 

image.jpg

Tools

image.jpg

• Makita Sander
  • Varnish Stripper
  • Uni pro Scrapers
  • Uni pro small foam rollers for base cabinet
  • Bag a rags to create the wash look 
  • Small brush for detailing
  • All in one prep coat water based 

Steps

Step 1

C56A5698-EA67-460D-B2B1-A998A7E8CF4D.jpeg

1. I removed all grim and build up with hot soapy water and removed all hardware.

Step 2

2. I used stripper and scrappers then got to work on using my makita sander which took a lot of the hard work out getting the unit back to  bare timber. 

Step 3

3.  After sanding and cleaning dust etc off I prepped coated the base of the cabinet with all in one prep water based it’s better for using under chalk paint. 

Step 4

4. While prep coat was drying I white lime washed the top and trims using rags and the Feast Watson wash. I applied two coats.

Step 5

5. I then chalk painted the base cabinets in Dulux chalk paint tinted to a laminex colour Bay Leaf Green. I only need 1coat as the pre prep coverage was great. 

Step 6

6. I fitted 4 castors to the base so I could move it into different locations of my home if I needed to fill a wall. 

Step 7

7. After two days of dry time I used the polish to seal the chalk paint on the base cabinet.

Step 8

8. I applied the top coat to the tops sealing in the wash look.

Step 9

9. Fitted all the hardware and gave the unit another polish with the wax. Which also smells really good. 

Step 10

10. Dressed my unit with some decor and filled all the draws and cabinets with my special occasion dinner wear. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Television Unit repurposed

Hi @joelle1,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It is awesome to have you join and share your TV unit project with us. You'll find that the community is filled with inspiration and advice on all things DIY and garden. This is such a fantastic upcycle, it may make it into one of our Top Ideas one day.

The transformation of your TV unit into a contemporary and stylish piece is simply perfect. I particularly admire how you highlighted the intricate details, making them stand out beautifully against the Bay Leaf Green colour. Any words of advice for someone looking to tackle their first furniture upcycle project?

Your project would be an outstanding addition to Bunnings' ongoing search for Australia's best D.I.Y. project this D.I.Y. July and I've taken the initiative to submit your project on your behalf.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Television Unit repurposed

Hi @joelle1  This is why I love this site, so many talented people doing their thing, seeing the fantastic transformation of this piece of furniture.

I agree with @KatieC , you have completely transformed this TV unit to the current period and re purposing it. Congratulations on a great job and good luck in the DIY July competition.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects