Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clad a metal frame shelving with wood?

joepark
Just Starting Out

How to clad a metal frame shelving with wood?

Greetings to all.

is it possible to clad a metal frame shelving with wood. I want the metal frame to add support and the shelving to be sturdy and have high capacity.

so for reference want to take ordinary metal shelving like one below and clad with wood like other photos below.

is this doable?

joe

BA169183-F856-4706-98D8-D7C52D8E43E9.jpeg

231AD117-C7BA-4ADC-BC32-578F920D8278.jpeg

0D54FFEF-BB9C-40B2-BE25-0FE0D0B1EF22.jpeg

6F6BD6DE-10D7-47FA-A947-D6D36109CC4D.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cladding a metal frame shelving with wood

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @joepark. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cladding shelving.

What you're suggesting sounds entirely possible. We have a range of melamine boards which should be perfect for this project. There are even larger sheets that can cover the back section.

Depending on the metal frame you're using, you might need to vary your fixing method for the panels. However, you'd have reasonable success pre-drilling the metal frame and screwing through it into the back of the melamine boards.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitch. I will visit my local Bunnings in the next few mins. 

is there a strip I can put over the horizontal sections.

do you have a suggestion on how thick the melamine should be for the rear of the shelve?

is it possible to have a cabinet or drawer at that bottom layer?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You could use 89 x 19mm Pine to cover the front of the shelves @joepark. The 3mm sheet for the rear of the unit would be fine it's it's not going to be damaged. If you wanted something more rigid, I'd advise using the melamine panel for the rear as well.

You'd likely need to build some custom cabinetry at the bottom. We have all the parts you'll need, including the hinges. Once again, you could use the melamine panels for the doors.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects