Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill patches caused by adhesive hooks?

Sugar
Having an Impact

How to fill patches caused by adhesive hooks?

Hi i am writing this to know how we can fill the patches on the wall when they come off when taking out the adhesive hooks. The following is what exactly has happened to one of my friends but this is an example.  The hook had got some paint on it but it was useless as it was not wide or big enough and also on different side. 

His wall is whitish and I tried to put some filler and apply my previously left over whitish paint, but didn't work( the different color is still visible on the patch). What is the best economical or DIYway to solve this. The property manager wouldt know the color code and wants to use them a professional painter which is costing few hundred dollar for just small fix. The patch is 30-40cm wide only.

Thanks you 

Screenshot_20220903-203416_Chrome.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill patches caused by adhesive hooks?

Hi @Sugar,

You'll need to colour match the paint to perform a seamless repair. To do this, you'll need to take a sample of the paint, at least the size of a 10-cent piece. This sample can be chipped off the existing painted area and colour matched in-store by one of our paint experts. Or, if you still have a piece of the removed paint that size, it would also work.

Once you have a sample pot of the correct colour, you can fill the sampled area with plaster filler. Here's a handy step-by-step guide on How to patch plaster.

If you've already filled the area and this is now just a case of needing to match the paint colour, you'll need to chip off that sample and re-fill the area. The next best method of colour matching would be to go and pick up several of our white colour cards from in-store. You can then take them home and see if any of them are a close match.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Morning @MitchellMc  and @Sugar 

Would you put a sealant of sorts over the Plaster Filler or would an extra coat of paint suffice?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

You could if you wanted to, I would suggest using British Paints 100ml White Prep 4 In 1 Water Based Primer Sealer Undercoat. This would be more than enough to cover the repair and provide a good seal for the plaster. However, because the repaired area is so small it would be sufficient to paint the area without a sealer. An extra coat of paint would be the next step should the spot be too light in colour.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects