Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish off an inset cupboard and floating shelves?

JamesG
Growing in Experience

How to finish off an inset cupboard and floating shelves?

I have a corner of a bedroom which I'd like to improve. (Try to imagine the junk isn't in the way!)

IMG_7987 Large.jpeg

The width of the area is around 95.3cm

I'd like to install something like this at the bottom, but want it to look 'built in'

IMG_7993 Large.jpeg

This cupboard is 5.3cm short, so wondering how to hide the sides, and also the feet using some kind of kick board.

Next up is the shelves.

Ideally, we have floating shelves that don't sit on brackets for dowel.

Something like this

howto-build-floating-shelves-1145x1800.jpg

The wood I found at Bunnings looked a lot more narrow than the example above, so not sure how to make it float:

IMG_7989 Large.jpeg

The timber above might work for the top of the cupboard though.

Any advice on how to finish the cupboards neatly, and do floating shelves of real timber would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to finish off an inset cupboard and floating shelves

Hello @JamesG 

This is an excellent project to be undertaking. To cover the gaps at the side of your cabinet, I suggest using timber moulding. You can either try to find a size that's close to what you need or buy a large panel and cut it down to the size that you want. the moulding can either be glues or screwed into place before you push the cabinet into the wall gap. I also suggest painting the timber mould before installation.

In regards to the kickboard, you can use the same timber moulding at the correct height to cover the bottom of the cabinet. I propose painting the panel before installation.  

In regards to the floating shelf, I recommend having a look at these discussions - Pallet timber floating shelf by @Tara86 and Floating shelf for laptop station by @hazesnow. These two discussions both show excellent methods of how to assemble your own floating shelf that don't require brackets. Please have a good look and tell me what you think.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects