Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fit Gainsborough Classic passage set?

Dubya
Getting Established

How to fit Gainsborough Classic passage set?

The installation instructions for the Gainsborough Classic Set show the (2) Fixing Plates are separate from the (7) Knobs and (8) Rosettes.  However each Fitting Plate comes connected to a Knob and Rosette and is held in place by a washer.  The Knobs appear to be made from some sort of ceramic material.

How can the Fitting Plates be separated from the Knobs without damaging the Knobs?

Cheers,

Dubya.

Gainsborough - Door knobs.jpgGainsborough - Fitting Instructions.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fit Gainsborough Classic passage set?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dubya. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on fitting doorknobs.

The fitting plates are screwed into the rosette. Take hold of the knob and rosette, and then turn the fixing plate anti-clockwise. If you have difficulty, you could screw in the (5) short screws to better grip the fixing plate. Once the fixing plate is attached to the door, the rosette is turned clockwise to connect the knob. I'll include an image below of the fixing plates threaded section.

Please let me know if that assists.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dubya
Getting Established

G'Day Mitchell,

Thanks for your help. Separating the plates from the knobs is really simple when you know how. It's a pity that I'm not intuitive enough to consider unscrewing it.

Also the assembly instructions could have mentioned that a third hand makes that task easier.

Cheers,

Dubya.

Ongtay42
Just Starting Out

I want to  add a privacy lock to the Classic passage door handles (to use on toilet door). I can put stuff together but do not understand how the lock part works. Thanks for helpful info opportunity. WF

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ongtay42. We would be happy to help. Is there something in particular we can assist with? Some photos showing what you are struggling with might assist members in being able to see what you're working with and explain how to fit the lock. 

We look forward to reading more about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have a new project to share with other members. 

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ongtay42

Thank you for sharing your question about the Gainsborough Classic passage set. One way to find out if your classic set is compatible with the Gainsborough Classic Series 309 Bright Chrome Adaptor Kit is to bring the entire assembly with you to the store. If the fixing plates are the same size and are lined up with the brass posts then you can add that locking feature to your passage set easily.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects