Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a cracked door

bilcruise
Building a Reputation

How to fix a cracked door

Looking for an advice on how to fix this crack on my door. Pretty sure I have seen a filler product ads somewhere that is easy to use to fill the crack and it makes the door looks as if the crack was never there.

IMG_5997.jpgIMG_5996.jpgIMG_5995.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a cracked door

Hello @bilcruise

Thanks for sharing your question about how to fix a cracked door.

I suggest using Parfix 500g Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler. Gently apply the first coat using a Pro Renovator 38mm Plastic Scraper. Our objective is to lay down a good low base coat to make it easy for us to sand later on. When the first coat is dry, apply the second coat of filler. When it has cured, lightly sand back the filler using Flexovit 100mm x 1m 240 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll until it is flat. Wipe off the excess dust with a clean rag.

I suggest using Taubmans 250ml Sample Pot White tinted to the colour of your door. I recommend using a UNi-PRO 75mm Sample Pot Paint Roller Kit. Any updates you can provide on your repair project would be much appreciated. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a door

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bilcruise
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL thanks for the tips, mate. Appreciate that. I have no idea on how to do all these things or even what they are, but it all kinda makes sense to me.

Re: the Parfix multipurpose filler, is that just like a silicon sealant? So, it's a liquid and the idea is to apply that to the crack in the door to fill up the volume so that it any excess will be sanded, is that right?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bilcruise

The Parfix 500g Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler is like soft putty it's very easy to handle and spread. Once you open the tub, you'll see exactly what I mean by spreading the filler over the damage. Please remember to put on a low coat so that it will be easy to sand down. Your objective is to cover the damage with the least amount of filler. Once the indentation is covered, it should be very close to the level of the door.

Eric

bilcruise
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL , can you elaborate on what you mean by "put on a low coat"? also in your first response, you mentioned to lay down a good low base coat and apply a second one later once the first one is dry.

Re: the sanding step, I should be careful not to sand the undamaged portion of the door? (I have no experience in DIY-ing stuff, hence, my silly question)

Hi @bilcruise,

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to fix a hole in the wall. It's a similar process to your door. You might even wish to consider using the Pfeiffer 10cm Plaster Repair Wall Patch. In the video, you'll notice that the filling procedure is done with two coats instead of one thick coat. This is what @EricL is referring to when he says to apply the first "low coat". By doing the filling in multiple stages, it allows for more control. Give the filler time to dry in between coats and sand it flush with the door before adding more filler if needed. This prevents you from having to sand down a very thick coat of excessive filler to be flush with the door's surface. As @EricL mentioned, "cover the damage with the least amount of filler".

You shouldn't have to be too concerned about sanding down the door. If you start sanding the door, you likely need more filler on the surface.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

Mitchell

bilcruise
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc , thanks for the video. It is indeed helpful to make sense of what it means to apply 2 x coating. I noticed in the video that the coat changes colour after it dries up. Is this the case with this https://www.bunnings.com.au/parfix-500g-ready-to-use-multipurpose-filler_p1210321 as well? If i am lucky, the colour would be very close to my door and if it's unnoticeable then i wouldn't even need to paint it, is that right?

Also regarding the patch, after the coating is done, is it just left there? I don't see a removal of it in that video.

@bilcruise,

The plaster does dry to a lighter colour, but the finish is quite different from paint. You'll be able to notice it, and you should apply an undercoat on the plaster and then paint the area.

The patch is left there. It adds rigidity to the damaged portion and gives the filler something to hold on to instead of just the door's smooth surface.

Mitchell

bilcruise
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc , thanks for clarifying that.

Regarding the filler, do you guys have other product alternatives besides https://www.bunnings.com.au/parfix-500g-ready-to-use-multipurpose-filler_p1210321? Just wanted to know what the options are.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bilcruise

There are other brands of the multi-purpose-filler such as Uni-ProEarl's Multifill, and Agnew's Putty. They pretty much work the same as the Parfix Multi-Purpose filler. Other forms of repair fillers such as Pfeiffer 10cm Plaster Repair Wall Patch and the Wet and Set Plaster Repair 127x381mm Patch Hyde have patching gauzes that help hold the plaster in place while it's being applied. If you wish to use these types of repair, you'll notice that you might have to use more plaster to cover it up. Thereby making the repaired area more noticeable.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects