Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix curtain rail track?

Pammyg
Getting Established

How to fix curtain rail track?

I obviously tugged a little too hard while opening the curtains and ended up pulling the track out of the wall creating a whole where it had been screwed in.

I think there needs to be some support in behind the plaster to hold the track in the further, but that’s just my thoughts.

Is there anyone out there that can offer any suggestions on how who to do the repair, I am happy to give it a go myself, but just don’t know how as it’s not just a simple patch job.

7D933304-8CED-4581-9218-900B6DB37326.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How or who do I get to fix this little disaster

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Pammyg. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing curtains.

That area of plaster is now compromised, so as you've mentioned, it's not just as easy as a simple plaster repair. You might like to pick up a stud detector and see if there is any timber behind the plaster that the track bracket could be affixed to. That would provide a much more solid connection and prevent the track from dislodging in the future. Alternatively, you could repair the area with filler and then use fixings that grip onto the rear side of the plasterboard, and I'd recommend expanding toggles. These are much less likely to be pulled from the wall.

Another option would be to fix a timber mending plate over that section of the wall. You could use something like this 7mm plywood. You'd need to cut it down into a square of around 100 x 100mm. You'd then screw this onto the plasterboard with plaster fixings and then attach your track to it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Pammyg
Getting Established

Re: How or who do I get to fix this little disaster

Thank you for your suggestions, I think the timber mending plate would be the strongest/best solution, wish me luck:))

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix curtain rail track?

Good luck @Pammyg

Please reach out if you get stuck or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects