Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix scratches in floor?

BillyR
Just Starting Out

How to fix scratches in floor?

CE9C0BF6-5375-4817-9A80-0B6F6CB418F6.jpeg

5DC588E0-E8A8-460E-8271-7E0FA9EB0CF7.jpeg

63C91246-1C49-4F78-9A89-CEFEFBD3A37D.jpeg

  

54D08DF8-26A6-4E24-8CEC-8CC575EABBA1.jpeg

Hi,

I have some scratches in my floor that I’d like to buff out in patches. Assumedly this involves sanding, staining and finishing, though I’m open to advice, particularly on how to match the stain. I’ve included a photo of an area where the finish has come off in case the unfinished wood offers clues. Also, this is a very old building so the floors may be quite old too. 

Thanks in advance!

Billy

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix scratches in floor?

Hello @BillyR

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about fixing scratches on your floor.

Looking at your first and second pictures, I suggest using Waxstix on the light scratches on your floor. This would be the easiest way to repair this type of damage. Unfortunately, the third and fourth pictures will require extensive repairs as they have been damaged much more severely. Because of the age of the floor, it will be difficult to get an exact colour match. The third picture looks like it is a Jarrah finish, I recommend testing Bondall 250ml Jarrah Monocel Satin Stain And Varnish. Sand a small portion of the floor to remove any of the old paint and paint the sanded portion to see if it matches your current floor. 

As for the fourth picture, I believe that it is a laminated board. It looks like the laminate cover has been ripped off. In these circumstances, I'm afraid the panel will have to be removed and totally replaced. No amount of sanding or painting will fix this type of damage. One way to test it is to sand a small area of the damaged spot. You'll notice that the damaged spot will show you the timber base of the floor panel, but it will not be the same pattern as that of the laminate cover at the top.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear, @Brad and @Noyade for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BillyR
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric! I appreciate your advice and look forward to hearing from the others too. Just to clarify, the fourth picture is from the same area as the other pictures, it was just taken with an iPhone so the colour accuracy is much lesser than my camera. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @BillyR

Thanks for that extra information. I still recommend doing a sanding test on the damage to see if the timber parts match. If they do then you can explore a painting repair to the floor. However, if it is a laminated surface then it will have to be replaced. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects