Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix the window handle?

chats
Getting Established

How to fix the window handle?

How to fix the stuck window handle? The window handle can't move, so the window can't be shut properly. Could you tell me how to fix it? Tks very much!

IMG_20200819_160709.jpg

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to fix the window handle?

Hi Chats

Couple of quick questions. Has it just become stuck or always been stuck? If it has always been stuck it may been slightly rusted inside or on chain, spraying wd40 or similar into it and let sit a while then try to wind each way may help, I suggest you get a small can with the extension tube. If it will wind out but not all the way in It may as in the case of a friends that the window itself is may be the problem either not lining up and catching on the window frame you just need to guide it with a flat edge (eg knife) or if the window is wood the window may have swollen and will need to be sanded down a little. If it has always been jammed and the wd40 doesnt work you may have to replace the winder. Im sure others will have more ideas. JDE

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community @chats. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's great to see you've received a reply from @JDE already.

It appears that you have a casement window and standard handle with quarter-turn locking mechanism. From the limited angle of your photo, it does not look like your window has a chain and winder mechanism.

With your locking mechanism, the last motion needed while turning the handle compresses the gasket around the window (if there is one) so it seals tightly against the frame. This last motion when locking is often very stiff and in particular, if the gasket has hardened.

Make sure there is no debris built up in the window frame preventing the window from closing. If the handle does not turn anti-clockwise either, then it might be seized and JDE's advice of spraying some WD-40 275g Lubricant With Smart Straw into the mechanism could assist.

Do you have other windows like this which you can compare the amount of force needed to shut it properly? In my experience, I have found this style of lock mechanism can require a significant effort to engage the final locked position. This is because the tongue on the handle needs to ride up and onto a raised portion of the mechanism to draw the window in further.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
chats
Getting Established

Hello, JDE,

Thank you very much for your good advice! The window is the Aluminium window. The window handle has been always stuck. I will go to the Bunnings to buy WD40 Lufrincant which you recommended.

Chats

chats
Getting Established

Hello, Mitchell,

Thank you very much for your good  and professional advice and recommendation! The window is the Aluminium window. The window handle has been always stuck. I will go to the Bunnings to buy WD40 Lufrincant to have a try.

Chats

chats
Getting Established

Hello, JDE,

I bought the WD40 lubricant you recommended at the Bunnings Warehouse. The problem with the stuck window handle has been solved. Thank you so much for your wonderful recommendation!

Chats

Lubricant.PNG

chats
Getting Established

Hello, MitchellMc,

I bought the WD40 lubricant you recommended at the Bunnings Warehouse. The problem with the stuck window handle has been solved. Thank you so much for your wonderful recommendation!

Chats

Lubricant.PNG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great, many thanks for letting us know @chats.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
chats
Getting Established

Hello, @Jason 

Thank you very much for your great help!

Chats

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects