Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang wallpaper on wall?

mike1360
Building a Reputation

How to hang wallpaper on wall?

I had my old wallpaper removed due to a flood in January. the flood wasn't bad, but some bit of the wallpaper was damaged. Initially, I was planning to get someone to paint the wall, but it seems like a labour-intensive job and costly. My question is if I'm planning to hang new wallpapers on the wall, would I be able to hang them once the old wallpapers are removed? ground floor walls-7.jpgground floor walls-8.jpgground floor walls-9.jpgground floor walls-10.jpgground floor walls-12.jpgground floor walls-14.jpgground floor walls-16.jpgground floor walls-18.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installing Wallpaper

Hi @mike1360,

Provided the wall was previously wallpapered, and you've removed it all, and the wall is now in good condition, I see no reason you couldn't apply wallpaper again. Any damage you've uncovered will need to be repaired before proceeding. In case you weren't aware, we have a wide range of wallpaper to select from. 

Since your ceiling coating puts your building date in the same era of asbestos use, you should assume it's in all materials unless confirmed otherwise. This goes for your wall sheeting and coatings. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mike1360
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchel,

I appreciate your suggestions🙏. I had the ceilings in every room tested for asbestos and also checked the plastering on the walls. Fortunately, all the results were negative. Regarding the wall condition, should I sand it a bit before wallpapering?

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 10.07.50 AM.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The walls need to be smooth to the touch @mike1360; otherwise, it will show through the wallpaper. I can't quite tell where you are at with that wall. Is it residue from the previous wallpaper, or is it the paper from the plasterboard that is being pulled up? You can try to sand the area and see if that pilling paper smooths out. Otherwise, you'll likely have to skimcoat the wall with plaster.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mike1360
Building a Reputation

I think they are the papers from the plasterboard. I'll try to sand it down a bit

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects